Quicken does not remember the last transaction amount for a memorized payee

Options
I switched to the Windows subscription model a while ago, from what I think was Quicken 2014 with multiple updates. When I entered a payee name and hit tab, that version used to used the last amount I entered for that payee. With the subscription version, it is using the first amount I entered for the payee.

I've done some googling, and the payee is not locked in the Memorized Payee List, but that's as far as I've gotten. Is there a way to make it work the way it used to? I realize I could manually edit the memorized list, but then I have to do that every time for every payee, when it used to just do that for me.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Make sure you have this option on:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jayschm
    jayschm Member
    Options
    Thanks, I did not have that option on, and with it on, it seems like it is remembering the last amount.
  • beejayvee
    beejayvee Member
    Options
    This didn't work for me. I CHECKED the box, closed Quicken, re-opened it and the problem remains. Do I need to logout of Quicken? If so, I don't know how to do that.
  • beejayvee
    beejayvee Member
    Options
    BTW, this option talks about NEW payees. How do I get Quicken to save new amounts for old payees?
  • beejayvee
    beejayvee Member
    Options
    One more discovery. This works for payees to whom I write checks. This does not appear to work for "payees" who are depositing funds.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Automatic memorize payee option kicks in when you edit a downloading transaction and change the category.  What it is doing is nothing more than putting in an entry in the Memorized Payee List.

That is in turn used for when you select that payee during manual entry, or when you download a transaction that matches it, provided you have the Complete fields using previous entries and Recall memorized payees options on.

And note it is possible to have multiple entries in the Memorized Payee List for the same payee.  Which one of these entries will be selected by default to match the downloaded transaction has never been clearly stated and has changed over time.  So I recommend never having more than one entry per payee for any payee that you want to match to a downloaded transaction and that you lock that payee in the Memorized Payee List so that it doesn't change when you make a manual entry.  You can find the Memorized Payee List on the Tools menu.

Also note that instead of turning on "Automatically memorize new payees" you can just select Ctl+M while on the transaction to memorize it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/