One Step Update Setting no longer saves the settings. Setting set years ago are gone.

retird
retird Member ✭✭✭✭
Downloaded from financial institutions yesterday using my Vault and One Step Update and the setting that has been set for years. No issue.

Downloaded this morning again and the One Step Settings I set years ago were gone. Tried this on both computers and same results. Setting the setting again now and they are not saved and will not save. I can set the settings but they don't save. I keep 2 computers for redundancy in case one computer crashes. Settings won't save on either computer now.

Contacted Quicken Tech Support and after a lot of steps they were unable to resolve the issue and they were going to Report the Issue. CASE Number 8804709. They told me to Report the Issue also so the necessary files could be collected by Quicken. I Reported as was instructed. The Tech lady told me that this issue may need to be resolved with the next Quicken Update.

Anybody in the Community have a solution?

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you attempt to locate a good Quicken file backup saved prior to the appearance of the issue.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @retird

Can you tell us which version of Quicken you are currently running?  Also have you had any other issues or problems with your datafile recently?

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    R35.26 Yes I have 2 other issues unresolved. Data file started in 2016 has been validated and checked several times by Quicken Tech support. Log files and etc. sent again this morning as requested when being "Reported" to Quicken Tech Support. Case # for this morning is 8804709 SEE MY OTHER 2 DISCUSSIONS IN THIS COMMUNITY for the other 2 issues.. Since April I have spent over 15 hour with bank and Quicken Tech Support folks and issues were escalated to higher levels at both places. At this point neither say 2 of the issues are their problem and each blame each other and neither say they can talk to each other nor will they talk to each other. This issue here was just Reported this morning.

That's the short version.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suggest you attempt to locate a good Quicken file backup saved prior to the appearance of the issue.

That was done also for all 3 issues and was not a resolution. Tried several backup files saved over several months and even over past year. Test files also created and the issues were there also. Have been thru the whole gambit. Quicken uninstalled several times and reinstalled with latest version was no help either. Installed new version again this morning before contacting support and Reporting this latest issue.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    retird said:  Downloaded this morning and the One Step Settings I set years ago were gone.
    What exactly do you mean - do you mean the Vault saved info is gone - or something else not being saved ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > What exactly do you mean - do you mean the Vault saved info is gone - or something else not being saved ?

As stated the One Step Update Settings are no longer saved nor will they save now after selecting the settings again. The Vault works perfectly.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suggest you attempt to locate a good Quicken file backup saved prior to the appearance of the issue.

That was done also for all 3 issues and was not a resolution. Tried several backup files saved over several months and even over past year. Test files also created and the issues were there also. Have been thru the whole gambit. Quicken uninstalled several times and reinstalled with latest version was no help either. Installed new version again this morning before contacting support and Reporting this latest issue.
    If you haven't already, I suggest you perform a manual clean uninstall: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken install  Next, install Quicken and create a new test Quicken file.  If the issue no longer reproduces, locate a good Quicken file backup saved prior to the appearance of the issue.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you haven't already, I suggest you perform a manual clean uninstall: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken install  Next, install Quicken and create a new test Quicken file.  If the issue no longer reproduces, locate a good Quicken file backup saved prior to the appearance of the issue.

Been there, done that numerous time since April...

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you haven't already, I suggest you perform a manual clean uninstall: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken install  Next, install Quicken and create a new test Quicken file.  If the issue no longer reproduces, locate a good Quicken file backup saved prior to the appearance of the issue.

Been there, done that numerous time since April...
    Then, all that's left is to perform a fresh Windows OS installation or use a different computer.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > Then, all that's left is to perform a fresh Windows OS installation or use a different computer.

Nope, the same issues are seen on 2 computers as I have 2 computers in case one craps out. Each computer has it's own Quicken data file. Same issues on both computers. Don"t think it is good advice to say to reinstall Windows then 25 hours of reinstalling software, files, and etc and all the updates....

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > Then, all that's left is to perform a fresh Windows OS installation or use a different computer.

Nope, the same issues are seen on 2 computers as I have 2 computers in case one craps out. Each computer has it's own Quicken data file. Same issues on both computers. Don"t think it is good advice to say to reinstall Windows then 25 hours of reinstalling software, files, and etc and all the updates....
    So, you're now seeing the One Step Update Settings issue occurring on independent computers and Quicken files.  I wonder if the issue could be tied to the Quicken ID.  Perhaps you can coerce Quicken Support into providing a new Quicken ID to test the theory.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not "just now seeing" the issue on both computers. When 1st noticed I checked both computers the same day and both had the issue. The issue was not there the day before on either computer as I downloaded from the bank that day. The next day the issue was there when I went to download to both computers.

How could a Quicken ID that has been there for 20 years suddenly cause this issue on multiple computers? Please Explain to me how a Quicken ID could cause this issue. I will call Support and breach this possibility that ID can effect settings?????

What is the Quicken ID used for? The Quicken ID registers your Quicken product, GIVES YOU ACCESS to your Quicken data files, Quicken Mobile & Web, Quicken.com, and all online services like downloading transactions, updating quotes, and paying bills

Issue #1 started in April -Support says it is not Quicken.
    Issue #2 started about a week ago - Support says it is not Quicken.
    Issue #3 (issue of this discussion) started a few days ago - Support says IF it is an issue it may need to be fixed on next update.

All 3 issues occur on both computers.

THX FOR THE CONTINUED DISCUSSION.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Could you try this in your Quicken:

Go to One Step Update Settings
    Uncheck the Financial Institutions you can download from.
    Apply the settings and close.

Run One Step Update. Did you have to select which Institution you want to download from?

Go back into Settings and check all instutions and Apply.

Close and then run One Step Update. Did it run automatically without need to select anything?

Were the Settings SAVED properly throughout this test??

My setting when made and applied never save now when I click on "Apply" on either computer.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    I'm not "just now seeing" the issue on both computers. When 1st noticed I checked both computers the same day and both had the issue. The issue was not there the day before on either computer as I downloaded from the bank that day. The next day the issue was there when I went to download to both computers.

How could a Quicken ID that has been there for 20 years suddenly cause this issue on multiple computers? Please Explain to me how a Quicken ID could cause this issue. I will call Support and breach this possibility that ID can effect settings?????

What is the Quicken ID used for? The Quicken ID registers your Quicken product, GIVES YOU ACCESS to your Quicken data files, Quicken Mobile & Web, Quicken.com, and all online services like downloading transactions, updating quotes, and paying bills

Issue #1 started in April -Support says it is not Quicken.
    Issue #2 started about a week ago - Support says it is not Quicken.
    Issue #3 (issue of this discussion) started a few days ago - Support says IF it is an issue it may need to be fixed on next update.

All 3 issues occur on both computers.

THX FOR THE CONTINUED DISCUSSION.
    I do not care what Quicken Support said.  The symptom you've described has been posted many times over many years and diagnosed as a non-repairable Quicken file corruption.  The only known resolution is to restore a backup that was saved prior to the issue appearing or to create a new Quicken file.  I know of no other posts where the issue has reproduced when we create a new Quicken file on the same computer.  I know of no other posts where the issue spanned computers.  

A Quicken ID has not been there for 20 years and I did not say a Quicken ID could cause this issue.

You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-id-frequently-asked-questions

A Quicken ID and Quicken ID password is used to authenticate a Quicken file with Online Services that maintain state associated with the Quicken ID.  As you appear to have been unable to create a new Quicken file without the issue on multiple machines with clean installations, I thought, however unlikely, the issue might be due to a corruption of this state.  If the issue no longer reproduces when you create a new Quicken file with a new Quicken ID, it would provide some evidence that such a corruption may exist.

retird said:
    Could you try this in your Quicken:

Go to One Step Update Settings
    Uncheck the Financial Institutions you can download from.
    Apply the settings and close.

Run One Step Update. Did you have to select which Institution you want to download from?
    Yes.

Go back into Settings and check all instutions and Apply.

Close and then run One Step Update. Did it run automatically without need to select anything?
    Yes.

Were the Settings SAVED properly throughout this test??
    Yes.

My setting when made and applied never save now when I click on "Apply" on either computer.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    When you say you are checking the behavior on two computers, how are you sharing the file between the computers?

The only reliable way to share a QDF file between computers is to save a backup on computer A then restore it on computer B. Keeping an active data file on any sort of shared drive or cloud storage - Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. can lead to corruption.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > When you say you are checking the behavior on two computers, how are you sharing the file between the computers?
    >
    > The only reliable way to share a QDF file between computers is to save a backup on computer A then restore it on computer B. Keeping an active data file on any sort of shared drive or cloud storage - Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. can lead to corruption.

Each computer has it's own file. Been that way for years and years. When I download from financial institutions I do on both computers. Been doing this for at least 15 years without these issues.

No shared dirves have ever been used.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I do not care what Quicken Support said.  The symptom you've described has been posted many times over many years and diagnosed as a non-repairable Quicken file corruption.  The only known resolution is to restore a backup that was saved prior to the issue appearing or to create a new Quicken file.  I know of no other posts where the issue has reproduced when we create a new Quicken file on the same computer.  I know of no other posts where the issue spanned computers.  
    >
    > A Quicken ID has not been there for 20 years and I did not say a Quicken ID could cause this issue.
    >
    > You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-id-frequently-asked-questions
    >
    > A Quicken ID and Quicken ID password is used to authenticate a Quicken file with Online Services that maintain state associated with the Quicken ID.  As you appear to have been unable to create a new Quicken file without the issue on multiple machines with clean installations, I thought, however unlikely, the issue might be due to a corruption of this state.  If the issue no longer reproduces when you create a new Quicken file with a new Quicken ID, it would provide some evidence that such a corruption may exist.
    > Yes.
    > Yes.
    > Yes.

I have used Quicken for 20 years. [Removed - Inaccurate]  My Quicken ID has never changed so it has been there as long as the ID was required. I did change the ID password today and deleted the Vault Again. Set up Vault with a new password and guess what??? Still no help. I even went to Quicken Download site and Quicken uninstalled my Quicken and reinstalled Quicken and update the new install. The new and updated Quicken said version is the latest and no updates are needed.. DUH....R.34.24 and it showed to be the current version.. hum... the version that this reinstall uninstalled was R35.26. So I had to do a Mondo Update to get the same version back that Quicken uninstalled.. After all this, I created a TEST FILE and set it up to download just 1 account... Still, the issues are there. So, New Quicken, New Vault, New File, New ID Password, and all this was done ON BOTH COMPUTERS. More hours were spent and no resolution. At which time will Quicken say " We have a problem mission control".

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I did restorte files that worked just fine to no avail didn't fix nothing...

[Removed - Unhelpful] THX all....you tried...

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You certainly have an unusual configuration, with two virtually identical data files running on separate computers and both downloading from the same FIs and accounts.

Depending on how these files were originally created, they may share a common Dataset ID (not the same as your Quicken ID), and it is possible that is confusing Quicken and/or your FIs.

It's not clear how that would affect your OSU settings however.

Do you use any other online features of Quicken - Web access, smartphone app, etc?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    I use no other features. I have read in Community where others have this issue also in 2020 and even in January thru March of this year. I have ran 2 computers for years and as I said I had no problem. 1 day no issue on either computer the very next day it is there on both computers. Called Support that very day . I read in here it explains using the same file on multiple computers and how to even copy 1 file to the other computer. Hopefully the log files sent to Quicken when I Reported this isssue will help them fix their issue. And creating a new Test File on only 1 computer has the same issue. I'm growing weary typing hours on end and a resolution is non-existant.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen many complaints over the years where the One Step Update settings aren’t saved.  I have yet to see any definitive answer to what is causing it, or how to fix it.  Note though that was with one data file and at no time do I think any of them had tested using a new data file to prove one way or another that it is a corrupted data file.

Have you tried a brand new data file?

Also listening to what you describe as your configuration is of two different computers/data files that “are the same”, I suspect the same as @Jim_Harman that the second data file was made by copying the first and as such has the same unique ID in it and as such when it syncs to the Quicken cloud dataset it believes that they are the same data file instead of two independent data files.  As such all kinds of crazy things can happen.  Even though people would love to have two Quicken data files sync between two different computers, it is definitely asking for trouble.

And this is relatively “new”.  Backup a few years and if you had Sync to Mobile/Web off there was next to nothing that would sync to the Quicken cloud dataset.  That is certainly not the case today, especially if you use Express Web Connect.

What’s more the advice to restore from a backup as the best way to deal with this has a possible problem.
    It has been noted that when restoring there is in fact a sync from the Quicken Cloud dataset to the data file.  If the dataset is somehow corrupted, it is possible that it might sync that corruption right back to the data file.  So the more recent advice of creating a new data file with Sync to Mobile/Web on so that one can delete the dataset in the original data file before doing the restore might also be in order.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    THX for the comments. It seems to me that the One Step Updates settings are saved (or in my case no longer saved) in the Quicken Software and not in the QDF file. My undersatand of the QDF file is QDF files are generally classified as primary data files that contain accounts, transactions, portfolios, and balance information.

Just read another poster had the same issue in July of this year.

Creating a new Test File (QDF) with just 1 financial account in it on just 1 computer and the issue is there too.

I'll say it 1 more time... years of running my 2 computers without this issue. Validating the file on both computers finds nothing wrong.

THX again for the comments.

The Community is a great place to search for resolutions but Support is the only place that can dig into the issue and resolve. Hopefully my Reported issue and file logs will be beneficial. Enough time spent here discussing. THX will talk to Support going forward.

This discussion has been closed.