Quicken 2002 deluxe reconciliation error

I have been happily using Quicken 2002 deluxe on Windows for the past 19 odd years but have one irritation which I cannot cure without closing an account and opening a new one. Whenever I reconcile a couple of the accounts I get the message
"Reconciliation Notice"
"The total of the previously cleared items in your register no longer matches with the ending balance of your prior statements", this goes on a bit further and then offers to help.

There is nothing wrong with my accounts but I can find no way of getting rid of this Notice other than allowing it to repair the so called error and then adding a new entry to counteract the amendment

Can anyone offer an easy solution

Thanks

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't answer your question, but you are still using 2002?  It might help to get a newer version.  You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013. 

You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That vintage Quicken might have included a feature called Smart Reconcile or something like that. I don’t recall any specifics because I never used it and it didn’t stick around very long. 

I am not sure allowing Quicken to add a correcting transaction and then adding another counteracting transaction makes much sense. Why not just delete the Quicker-added transaction?  Or better yet, can you just not accept it?  

To reinforce @volvogirl’s thought, perpetual delay on some level of program upgrade may take you to the point of no ability to upgrade. If you then lose your PC to a irreparable hardware problem you may find converting a 20+ year old data file near impossible.