How do I record the recent merger of Analog Devices with Maxim Integrated Products?

Options
How do I record the recent merger of Analog Devices with Maxim Integrated Products?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Papa Jay You have posted the same question several times now. Please wait for a response before posting again.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This appears to be a straight-forward corporate acquisition. From the account transaction list, use the Enter Transaction button to get to the Corporate Acquisition action. Analog acquires Maxim at a share ratio of 0.630 effective 8/26/21. Confirm those details through your brokerage. Closing price of ADI on 8/26 was 167.36. If needed, you will sell any fractional share you were due for a cash-in-lieu amount you will see in your account shortly. 
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Papa Jay

You need to use the "Corporate Acquisition (stock for stock)" transaction type.  It is one in a long list of transaction types available in the "Enter transaction:" drop-down list for brokerage and other investing type accounts.

You will need to enter the names of "Company acquired", the "Acquiring company", the "New shares issued - per share held" and "The price per share for the acquiring company after the acquisition".

Make sure that you make a backup of your Quicken datafile before entering the transaction (just in case something goes wrong.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• gsb88
    gsb88 Member
    Options
    Hi - why do we need the "The price per share for the acquiring company after the acquisition" for a stock for stock transaction? That shouldn't effect cost basis info correct? Is it just to give a market price of the new stock, ADI?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @gsb88 - I believe that is correct. 
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @gsb88

Yes, in order to effect the acquisition transaction, including the value of the holdings post acquisition, the price per share of the new stock is used.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.