Account not showing in the 'link to' options

Hello,

I am setting up online services for my Fidelity HSA account (about 3 years old account in Quicken). I connect to Fidelity Investments to get my HSA (health savings account) configured to download transactions. Quicken finds my account, but when it lists the accounts to link to, it doesn’t list the account that I want to link it to. It actually lists a bunch of old closed accounts and one of my current accounts, but not the Fidelity HSA that I want to link it to.

The account number that shows up in Quicken is correct and matches what it says on the Fidelity site.

I tried to change the ‘type’ selector from brokerage, to IRA, and to 529, (tried all options) but it makes no change to the available accounts to link. Strange that it is not showing the account I want to link, but instead Quicken is showing all old and closed accounts except for one new account that I recently opened.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    The Fidelity HSA should be a tax-deferred brokerage account.  To have Quicken link to an existing account register, the existing account register must be of the correct type, must not be setup to use Online Services, and must have the correct (or a blank) financial institution name in the General tab of the Account Details window.

If you're not able to coerce Quicken into linking to the existing register, I suggest you allow Quicken to add a new register.  You may move the transactions from the original register to the new register, reset any memorized payees and reminders referencing the original register, delete the original register, and rename the new register.

Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @BTBT / Brian,

This Q&A is from the current Fidelity website FAQ's:

Will the username and password I've established on other Fidelity sites work on Fidelity.com?

The same username and password can be used to access all of your Fidelity accounts through any of our service channels including:

• Fidelity.com (Brokerage accounts, personal retirement accounts like IRAs)

• NetBenefits.com (employer sponsored accounts like 401(k), 403(b), 457, health plans, pension, and HR/Payroll)

• Charitablegift.com (Charitable Gift FundSM accounts)

• eWorkplace

• Fidelity Automated Service Telephone (FAST®)

• Wireless access through Fidelity MobileSM

• To access Fidelity representatives on the phone
    So I guess they allow folks to use the same usernames/passwords across all their platforms now.

Anyway, since you've found a way to connect to the HSA account, and since it seems like Quicken is not allowing you to "connect" that online account to your existing Quicken Fidelity "manual" HSA account, I'd suggest that you download it as a new account in Quicken (i.e. as if you were starting fresh.  Once you make that connection and download data, you can then go to your existing "manual" HSA account and use a "cut and paste" to move any earlier dated transactions from the old account into the new.  Obviously, you'll need to be careful not to copy duplicates and you'll also need to adjust the "opening balance" that Fidelity downloaded so that the ending balance agrees with the current online balance according to Fidelity.

Once that is done, you should delete the old Quicken account.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @BTBT,

Which Fidelity website are you accessing to add the account - is it "Fidelity Investments" or "Fidelity NetBenefits".  You should be able to make the connection to a HSA if you use the "Fidelity NetBenefits" as the financial institution.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• BTBT
    BTBT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Hello Frankx,

Thanks for the reply. I am using 'Fidelity Investments' as that is what I read about from a past discussion entry on this site. The person said that they used Fidelity Investments for their HSA and Fidelity NetBenefits for their 401K. Also, the HSA is recognized when I do use Fidelity Investments for downloading online transactions, it seems like it is just Quicken that is not giving me the option to link it to my pre-existing HSA account in Quicken.

I did connect to Fidelity NetBenefits for my 401k and that was fine. I was able to link that to a pre-existing account that I have in Quicken no problems. The 401k was the only account found at Fidelity NetBenefits as well.

So when I connected to Fidelity Investments my HSA account was found there, but no option to link to the pre-existing HSA account that I have in Quicken. There was a list of accounts to link to, but they were all old and closed accounts that I have in Quicken.

Thanks
    Brian
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    The Fidelity HSA should be a tax-deferred brokerage account.  To have Quicken link to an existing account register, the existing account register must be of the correct type, must not be setup to use Online Services, and must have the correct (or a blank) financial institution name in the General tab of the Account Details window.

If you're not able to coerce Quicken into linking to the existing register, I suggest you allow Quicken to add a new register.  You may move the transactions from the original register to the new register, reset any memorized payees and reminders referencing the original register, delete the original register, and rename the new register.

Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @BTBT / Brian,

This Q&A is from the current Fidelity website FAQ's:

Will the username and password I've established on other Fidelity sites work on Fidelity.com?

The same username and password can be used to access all of your Fidelity accounts through any of our service channels including:

• Fidelity.com (Brokerage accounts, personal retirement accounts like IRAs)

• NetBenefits.com (employer sponsored accounts like 401(k), 403(b), 457, health plans, pension, and HR/Payroll)

• Charitablegift.com (Charitable Gift FundSM accounts)

• eWorkplace

• Fidelity Automated Service Telephone (FAST®)

• Wireless access through Fidelity MobileSM

• To access Fidelity representatives on the phone
    So I guess they allow folks to use the same usernames/passwords across all their platforms now.

Anyway, since you've found a way to connect to the HSA account, and since it seems like Quicken is not allowing you to "connect" that online account to your existing Quicken Fidelity "manual" HSA account, I'd suggest that you download it as a new account in Quicken (i.e. as if you were starting fresh.  Once you make that connection and download data, you can then go to your existing "manual" HSA account and use a "cut and paste" to move any earlier dated transactions from the old account into the new.  Obviously, you'll need to be careful not to copy duplicates and you'll also need to adjust the "opening balance" that Fidelity downloaded so that the ending balance agrees with the current online balance according to Fidelity.

Once that is done, you should delete the old Quicken account.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Frankx

• BTBT
    BTBT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Thanks Frankx and Sherlock. I spent another 15 minutes troubleshooting and then just decided to follow both of your advice to let Quicken create the new account and then copy and paste all the previous transactions from my old account into the new account. That worked great.

Thanks for the time and help.

Cheers,
    Brian