Keystroke to Collapse a Split??? (Q Mac)

LargeDoggie
LargeDoggie Member ✭✭
Sorry for what is likely a dumb question, but we just converted from awesome Quicken 2007 to the current subscription version. The new software has some very nice features, but as a long-time user of Q2007 I've been "hardwired" to do certain things that I have not been able to find in the current version of Quicken for Mac. This functionality may indeed be there but I'm too senile to find it, so please bear with me.

In Quicken 2007 (Q2007) it was easy to use a keystroke to generate a split, and collapse a split, in an account register.

In Quicken 2021 I've found a keystroke to generate a split (attached), but cannot find a keystroke to collapse a split.

Sometimes splits open automatically (as in when one checks the Cleared button), and the only way I can find to collapse the split (that may take up a lot of screen real estate) is to click another transaction in the register.

Can one do this more quickly with a certain keystroke?

Thank you!
1.png 57.2K

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Well, I swear I tested this before I replied. But it's not working for me now either. In any case, when the split it open, you can hit the Esc key to Cancel or the Enter/Return key to Save the splits.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Yes, if you have opened a transaction for editing -- which you have done when you open the splits -- you have to exit editing mode, either by saving (Return) or canceling (Escape).

Inline images in the forum is something you gain capability to do after a number of posts on the forum. They do this to thwart scammers, who used to post bogus images to get people to call fake Quicken support sites. I don't know how many posts are currently needed to gain this capability. You can try dragging an image to the text area to see if it will accept it. Or you will see your editing menu bar gain the image icon:

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

The scenario pops up when reconciling statements and hitting the "Cleared" checkbox. Toggling "Cleared" expands the transaction. Certain split items (like paychecks) have a zillion categories in the split so the expanded split view "takes over" the screen making it more difficult to move on to the next cleared transaction from the bank statement. I kinda wish that hitting the "Cleared" button did nothing other than toggling the button!
    @LargeDoggie, you mentioned it being a little difficult when splits automatically open specifically when reconciling. Just in case you're not aware of this yet, there is a preference to adjust this behavior:

I like to have my splits automatically shown when working directly in the register, but not automatically pop open when reconciling since I usually only care about the net transaction amount at that point. Changing this setting will make it so you can view and clear your transactions during reconciliation without splits automatically popping open.

Not sure if this will be helpful to you or not, but thought I'd share just in case. :)

Answers

• RickO
    The show splits keystroke, Cmd-Opt-S, toggles the view of the selected transaction's split between expanded and collapsed and will also trigger a new split on a new transaction that you're creating. So just use Cmd-Opt-S for both (no need for the Add Split Cmd-Shift-N keystroke).

BTW, if you don't like this keystroke, you can change it in macOS since the command exists in the Transactions menu:

macOS Custom Keyboard Shortcuts
  • LargeDoggie
    LargeDoggie Member ✭✭
    Many, many thanks for replying!

It's likely user error on my part, but I can't get Command-Option-S [COS] to close the split.

Here's what I see in the register: 1

Then here's what it looks like when one clicks on that line: 2

And after using COS: 3

And finally after trying to toggle it off with another COS (no change in appearance): 4

In an ideal world, a COS would toggle from #3 back to #1???

What am I doing wrong?

Again, thank you!
    1.png 10.9K
    2.png 30.5K
    3.png 44.5K
    4.png 43.2K
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Well, I swear I tested this before I replied. But it's not working for me now either. In any case, when the split it open, you can hit the Esc key to Cancel or the Enter/Return key to Save the splits.
  • LargeDoggie
    LargeDoggie Member ✭✭
    Computers are a never-ending source of amazement/amusement to me :)

Regardless, your suggestion to use escape or return does the trick so I am very grateful to you.
  • jacobs
    I don't believe there's a way to close splits directly without exiting the transaction (by saving or canceling). (@RickO I even went back to Quicken 2017 to test this, and it worked the same way as it does currently.) But here's a work-around which you may or may not find helpful: press Command-Option-E, the shortcut for the Details tab of a transaction (Transactions > Show Details). It will "close" the split because it switches from the Splits tab to the Details tab. (You could also use the Show Attachments command, Command-Option-A, to accomplish the same thing.) 

That said, I guess my question is what you're actually trying to accomplish. If you've opened the splits tab, you're either viewing or editing the splits, right? If you've edited anything in the splits, you want to save the transaction, and doing so will hide the splits. If you're just looking at the split, you're either editing something in the main transaction line and then saving, or canceling without changing anything. Under what circumstances would you need to hide the splits yet leave the transaction in edit mode? I can't really think of a use case where this would be helpful, but maybe I'm not thinking about it the way you are.

Perhaps the confusion here stems from what you shows in your screenshots 1 and 2. In screenshot 1, the transaction is not selected; in screenshot 2, the transaction is selected. You said you want to go from Screenshot 3 -- splits open for editing -- to screenshot 1 -- which is an unselected transaction. That requires exiting from editing the transaction, either by saving or canceling, as RickO said above. 

• LargeDoggie
    LargeDoggie Member ✭✭
    As always, thank you so much for your detailed and thoughtful responses!!!

It could be my error, but when I go from #2 to #3 above with COS, Command-Shift-E transforms to this: 5
    I still need to hit return to go back to #2.
    But, then hitting Return a 2nd time brings one back to the desired state: 6

The scenario pops up when reconciling statements and hitting the "Cleared" checkbox. Toggling "Cleared" expands the transaction. Certain split items (like paychecks) have a zillion categories in the split so the expanded split view "takes over" the screen making it more difficult to move on to the next cleared transaction from the bank statement. I kinda wish that hitting the "Cleared" button did nothing other than toggling the button!

Having said all that, hitting return twice in succession is not difficult, so the suggestions you and RickO have made have been very helpful and all is good!

As an aside, and hopefully not needed since (I hope!) we're near the end of the learning curve for the transition from Quicken 2007 to modern Quicken, but I notice that many posters in this forum have found a method to insert images "inline". This makes threads quicker and easier to read than having to go to the bottom of the question window and require a discrete press on the icon to open the images in another browser window. Thus, how do folks get inline images inserted here?

Again, many thanks!
    5.png 32.1K
    6.png 10.5K
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Yes, if you have opened a transaction for editing -- which you have done when you open the splits -- you have to exit editing mode, either by saving (Return) or canceling (Escape).

Inline images in the forum is something you gain capability to do after a number of posts on the forum. They do this to thwart scammers, who used to post bogus images to get people to call fake Quicken support sites. I don't know how many posts are currently needed to gain this capability. You can try dragging an image to the text area to see if it will accept it. Or you will see your editing menu bar gain the image icon:

• LargeDoggie
    LargeDoggie Member ✭✭
    As always, many thanks! Much appreciated.

Have a great evening.
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

@LargeDoggie, you mentioned it being a little difficult when splits automatically open specifically when reconciling. Just in case you're not aware of this yet, there is a preference to adjust this behavior:

I like to have my splits automatically shown when working directly in the register, but not automatically pop open when reconciling since I usually only care about the net transaction amount at that point. Changing this setting will make it so you can view and clear your transactions during reconciliation without splits automatically popping open.

Not sure if this will be helpful to you or not, but thought I'd share just in case. :)
  • LargeDoggie
    LargeDoggie Member ✭✭
    Hi Austin:

That is a true gem of an elegant solution!!!

Thank you very much.
This discussion has been closed.