What is causing my credit union balance to change dramatically when I re-activate download link?

NE_Girl
NE_Girl Member
Lost ability to download to 3 CU accounts. Deactivated and then reactivated, matching the 3 accts. to ones I already have in Q. 2 are fine but the 3rd account's (checking) balance is wayyyy off as in more than $9K short. I have to keep restoring the previously saved file to make it correct again. However, with the restored file, I'm back to being unable to download these CU accts again. Error msg. says that that account has apparently been deleted in Q. I wish I could reactivate the downloading without it screwing up my balance over and over. :-(

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited June 2021
    Hello @NE_Girl,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

We will need some additional information in order to better assist you further.

First, could you please provide which version release of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

Also, could you please provide the full name of the credit union you are connecting to? And which connection method are you using to connect (Express Web Connect or Direct Connect)?

As for the "Deleted Account" error message you are receiving; if you don't mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop a screenshot to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Please check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• NE_Girl
    NE_Girl Member
    TY for your reply so many weeks ago. I can finally get back to this dilemma now.
    My Q version: R34-24 Build 27.1.34.24
    Navy Federal Credit Union, via Express Web Connect

This is what's happening now. I have 3 accounts w/NFCU.
    First I backed up my Q files in 2 places.
    Next, I deactivated the NFCU on-line services and then re-activated, matching the 3 accounts online w/my Q accounts. The downloads poured in for all 3 accounts and the balances were all incorrect -- in one case by ~$25K.
    Again, my only option was to restore my backup file in order to get the balances correct.
    Is there any way I can re-store the ability to download new transactions without first downloading all these other transactions that completely screw up my accounts?
    Thank you again!
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @NE_Girl

Thanks for the update. I'm wondering here if we might be able to try fixing the issue you're having first by trying to import a QFX file so you're able to get some of your new transactions. From there we can work on getting your downloads back up and running. 

To import a QFX you'll want to go to your banks website and find the area where you can export/download transactions. The article down below can go into more details about how to do so.

https://www.quicken.com/support/web-connect-troubleshooting

Once you've had a chance to do this let us know if your accounts are updated to the current date. The nicest thing about importing if we can choose the range we need to download so you shouldn't see any duplicates. let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• NE_Girl
    NE_Girl Member
    I updated each of the 3 NFCU accounts today by downloading QFX files directly from their site. All are current and correct. In a few days, shall I re-activate as part of my one-step update?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @NE_Girl

Thanks for the update. Good to hear the new transactions are in. We can do the one step updates but we still may have some duplicates. If that is the case I would recommend taking a look at the article here that goes over how to solve duplicates. This should only be a one time occurrence so it shouldn't be that difficult to find. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-downloads-transactions-which-are-duplicates-existing-register-entries

When you get the chance to try this let us know how it goes! From there let us know if you're still having issues and we'll see what our next steps are. 

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • NE_Girl
    NE_Girl Member
    Just an FYI since you have been so helpful! I haven't been able to connect to the CU despite re-setting, de- and re-activating over several days. Today, I finally downloaded the QFX files directly again. This works. If I can't get these NFCU files to work correctly using OneStep, I'll just continue to do it this way.
    Thanks again.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @NE_Girl

I'm not sure, but perhaps you saw an Alert from Quicken dated 8/30/21 - LINK - about the downloading issue.  This Alert is technically still an open issue for some, but my NFCU connectivity was restored on 8/31 and remains in effect. 

Just wanted you to know that this likely isn't an issue with your Q datafile, but rather a broader issue involving Quicken's data aggregator (Intuit) and its processes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• NE_Girl
    NE_Girl Member
    When I open Account Details, Online Services there is this message: "Your financial institution supports an improved connection method. Click hear... to get set up." I've tried this twice. Both times I had the same result as I originally explained. My balances completely & radically changed due to a slew of transaction downloads from several months ago. Had to restore the backup. I may have to stick with downloading directly from NFCU. So strange that others like yourself are all set. Hmmmm.
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having the same kind of issue with NFCU.  A couple of days ago, Quicken stopped prompting for 2FA for my 2 NFCU accounts in one Quicken file.  I reset the online connection for both accounts and things seem to be connecting again.  But, I just noticed that the account balances were wrong (over $1,000 in one account and only $0.01 on the other).  Going back, it was the actual, Reconciled, Opening Balances from over 6 years ago that got changed.  Once I put those initial transactions back to $0 each, all my balances matched again.  But, those initial, reconciled transactions shouldn't have changed in the first place.  I reported the issue to Quicken under the Help menu.
This discussion has been closed.