Mac Request option to hide categories and tags (32 Legacy Votes +66 Merged Votes)

Comments

• Joe13
    Joe13 Member ✭✭
    Surprised that the ability to track non-qualified or ISO options that are typically granted to employees in public companies is not available in Quicken for Mac. Would like to see this added.
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    My data goes back 20 years and when I moved from Windows to Mac dozens of old categories appeared. It is a real mess now. The old categories have data and can't be deleted, but really need to be hided. I was kind of shocked to find I can't hide old categories, tag, and other items like this in the Mac version. Features needed.
    -Jay
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Trying to vote for this but getting 'value is not a valid object.' when clicking the triangle under the vote number. Works for other suggestions.

I have lots of old unused categories and tags from when I was on Windows and moved over. It is a real mess so hiding the older (but still needed since they have transactions using them) tags and categories would be a big help.
    -Jay
  • System
    System Member admin
    edited May 2021
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Mac Request option to hide categories and tags (updated title) (32 Legacy Votes).
  • drbillk
    drbillk Member
    This would be so incredibly helpful. I've seen it possible in the Windows version.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @pwillie  (a) There are many differences between Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows. Fortunately, not user uses every feature in Quicken, so the hope is that the differences that affect you will be few and minimal. ;) (b) Some idea posts here are nearly five years old. ;)

The fact is, there are more feature requests than the developers can implement, so features are always competing against each other to get put on the developers' to-do list. This idea has only attracted 16 votes as of this moment, and that's not enough to put it in the upper tier of users' requests. However, things aren't implemented by vote totals alone, so sometimes things which have a relatively small number of votes get implemented because the developers decide it's worth doing, or sometime it's easy to do while making some other change in the same area of the program.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JSmith
    JSmith Member
    Yes please add this feature. I am a software engineer and this seems like low hanging fruit and a very easy feature to add.
  • garry4
    garry4 Member ✭✭
    I've switched from Windows and this is another one of those paper cut differences that make me question my decision.
  • KenF
    KenF Member
    This is a basic net worth calculation function. People that use Quicken are highly likely to have some sort of stock options as compensation. It's an obvious miss.
  • Wanting to bump this one to the top again, I have been asking for this feature forever. It is important to help track employee stocks that vest yearly at different schedules. Quicken should be a one stop for all investments and I feel this is something many have.
  • Mikey1108
    Mikey1108 Member ✭✭
    adding this feature for Quicken for Mac is long overdue.
  • I would like to be able to hide categories vs delete them from the category list.
  • Vincent Thacker
    Vincent Thacker Member ✭✭
    I would like this feature for Quicken Windows version as well :)
  • JT97
    JT97 Member ✭✭
    PLEASE add this! I have used quicken since 1993 and I have a lot of categories that are not currently used. I don't need to delete them - just hide them so I do not have to sort through so many to find what I need. Simplify. Simplify. Simplify.
  • ARS713
    ARS713 Member
    IS it possible to hide categories?
  • jacobs
    @ARS713 It is not possible to hide categories. This Idea topic hasn't garnered many votes, so it may not be on the developers' radar. (Vote for it above!) For categories you no longer want, you can either (a) merge them with another category (except in the case of investment categories), or raceme them with a prefix like "z-Household Expenses" so they drop to the bottom of any list and stay out of your sight most of the time.
  • MichaelE
    MichaelE Member
    I agree, hiding categories is a must.
  • MichaelE
    MichaelE Member
    I have started using Tags to track transactions for my freelance work. I use this to run reports for income and expenses and quickly sort by year and client. Over the past 5 years my Tag list has bloated! I don't want to delete these tags for obvious reporting reasons but I DO want to be able to HIDE them so my list can show only my most recent tags for ease of transaction entry. This along with the new colors for tags function will make Quicken the perfect tool for managing my Freelance income!
  • MichaelE
    MichaelE Member
    Please, please, please make this happen! I used this extensively in Windows and now that it is gone in my Mac version I am dying. I need the hide function for Tags the worst but the ability to hide old categories would be great too. I have over a decade of historical data and I don't want to lose any of that sort/report ability. I just need to hide some legacy stuff!
  • jacobs
    To anyone adding comments in this thread requesting this enhancement, please make sure you are also scrolling to the top of the thread and adding your vote in the yellow box under the first post. 
  • I agree. The way one can hide accounts should be duplicated to categories.
  • JLB005
    JLB005 Member ✭✭
    Please add capability for all types of employee stock based awards, including stock options, stock appreciate rights, restricted stock, restricted stock units, etc. Also add ESPP features.
  • Chris Mead
    Chris Mead Member ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with this recommendation.  I understate the relationship issue may throw a curveball.  For example, I have transactions from 10 years ago to categories I no longer use.  But I don't want to change those to uncategorized.  But I would like them not to be available to budgeting or active transactions.  The process would be similar to closing accounts.  Maybe it should eb called:

CLOSED CATEGORIES
  • Chris Mead
    Chris Mead Member ✭✭✭
    Make sure that if the categories are hidden that new transactions, either downloaded or manually posted, can't make use if these hidden categories.
  • reastland
    reastland Member ✭✭
    Please do this. I echo all of the comments above.
  • crouton4
    crouton4 Member
    I'm requesting this as well.
  • Catherine Tobin
    Catherine Tobin Member ✭✭
    Windows version has had this for a long time. This really MUST be added to MAC version. When is this going to happen????
  • Catherine Tobin
    Catherine Tobin Member ✭✭
    We need the ability to correctly track stock option grants in the MAC version