How can I copy / paste the line items of a split?

mwolverine321
mwolverine321 Member ✭✭
I have several split transactions that quicken regularly fails to recognize properly. For example, my mortgage payment has about 5 line items.
Can I copy a previous transaction's split items into the newly downloaded one?
I know I can copy the entire prior transaction but I don't want the other metadata in it (date, memo, etc.)

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Do it the other way round.
    First, a few days before the due date, record a correctly defined split transaction with all line items you need for your mortgage payment (The mortgage setup process should have given you such a scheduled reminder or memorized transaction entry with all the splits and correctly calculated amounts of principal and interest)
    Then, when you download transactions from your bank checking account containing the mortgage payment transaction, Quicken should be able to just simply match the downloaded transaction to the one already in the register, retaining all the split information.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Do it the other way round.
    First, a few days before the due date, record a correctly defined split transaction with all line items you need for your mortgage payment (The mortgage setup process should have given you such a scheduled reminder or memorized transaction entry with all the splits and correctly calculated amounts of principal and interest)
    Then, when you download transactions from your bank checking account containing the mortgage payment transaction, Quicken should be able to just simply match the downloaded transaction to the one already in the register, retaining all the split information.
  • I see. So duplicate an older one into a new one from ~today, then download and match it? How does the match choose which metadata wins? Does it overwrite the date if they are different?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see. So duplicate an older one into a new one from ~today, then download and match it? How does the match choose which metadata wins? Does it overwrite the date if they are different?

The already existing register transaction wins, more or less.
    The transaction date of the register transaction remains.
    The Memo field, if it is blank in the register transaction will be filled with (if any) downloaded memo text. If you don't want that to happen, put something into the register transaction's Memo field, even if it's just a "."(period).
    I recommend memorizing such "older transaction" for easy reuse or, if it's a recurring payment or deposit, use a Scheduled Reminder.
    If you use memorized transactions, you don't have to go hunting in the register for an old transaction and copy/paste. Just start typing the Payee Name into the new register transaction's Payee Name field and select the desired entry from a popup list. Fill out the rest and you're done.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I see. So duplicate an older one into a new one from ~today, then download and match it? How does the match choose which metadata wins? Does it overwrite the date if they are different?
    For the main fields the data you enter wins (except for the amount).  But that isn't the whole story.
    If I turn on the posting date field you can see for this transactions it has the date that the financial institution sent.

For the reconcile it is the Posting Date that is used.

If the amount doesn't match depending on if you are in automatic transaction entry mode or not there are a few possibilities.

If you are in automatic transaction entry mode where the transactions go directly into the register and you see a blue dot New or blue pencil New Match (expand the blue dot/Status column to see the words), then you have to get the two amounts (altering splits if needed) to be the same before they will match.  You change the amount on the manually entered one (or by reminder) to match that of the one downloaded, and then click on the red pencil/uncleared status icon and select the manually match.

If you aren't using automatic transaction entry mode your downloaded transactions will be in the Downloaded Transactions tab at the bottom of the register.  Again the amounts have to be the same to match, so you should go through the same process of changing the amount on the transaction that is entered into the register, so that it will pick it up as matched.  There is also a Manual Match button in this mode, but if you use it, it probably will not do what you think.  With it you select the transaction from the register that should match in a dialog.  But what it is going to do it is add an extra split line for the difference between the total amount of the transaction in the register, and the downloaded one.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/