Creating and adding bulk data to Quicken

Perry Smith
Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
I want to create an asset for my house and it will start at the value of the house in 1997 and then increase by the same percentage each month until this month in 2021 when I am selling my house. I can create these values via a program but I need to output the data in a form that Quicken for Mac (latest version) can accept. QXF appears to be as complex as OXF. I'd like to find a simpler format that Quicken can understand. In the Import file, there is an option for Mint.com (CSV) but I don't know the columns Quicken is expecting.

Are there any suggestions on how to do this?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The last couple of posts in this thread might help you.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    QFX is OFX with a minor tweak to include an ID number of the participating Quicken institution. Quicken Mac is not really built to import transaction data from a spreadsheet.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to make a monthly adjustment in the home value, rather than one lump sum adjustment to bring the asset up to the sale value, or one annual adjustment?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    When I plot a graph of my net worth, I believe it would be more accurate this way — although I’m clearly making some assumptions. I’ve always puzzled why this is not more common. e.g. when you pay home owners taxes, it is usually represented as a big hit but that isn’t accurate. It is actually 12 smaller monthly hits (or even per day).
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The last couple of posts in this thread might help you.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    @Perry Smith Here's something else you might try. Create the transaction you want, dated back in 1997. Make it a scheduled transaction, repeating monthly, ending September 2021. Now you'll just need to click Paid about 280 times to post each monthly transaction from then until now. It will probably take 5 minutes to do all the clicks, but then you'll have what you want.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For whatever it's worth ...
    As a Quicken for Windows user I just experimented with the above scenario in my Test file and recorded a new Scheduled Reminder starting 1/1/1997:
    Getting ready to record this reminder I right-clicked on the line and was surprised to get a popup which included a selection for "Enter all overdue reminders for this payee".
    One click on this selection and a few seconds later the [My House] account had 296 monthly transactions in it ranging from 1/1/1997 to 8/1/2021.
    Doesn't Q Mac have a similar function?
  • jacobs
    UKR said:
    Doesn't Q Mac have a similar function?
    Not that I can find, either in the register or in the Bills & Income screen.

But in poking around, I discovered an equally quick way to get the job done. Enter the scheduled transaction using a unique Payee name. In the account register for this asset, do a search for the Payee used for the scheduled transaction. The register will now show all 296 or so scheduled transactions. Do Select All, then click the Paid button. Quicken Mac will mark all the transactions as paid/entered in just that one click. Job done. :smile:
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you all...

The rate of growth is a percentage so I used the Mint.com CSV technique that Jon referred to. Got into Numbers and created what I needed, then exported it as CSV and imported it into Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.