Problems with deleted account

Win 10  19043   Q Deluxe R35.31  27.1.35.31

I closed a CD and put that money into a money market account in the same bank. At the bank, the money market looks right and the CD has been closed at that bank and no longer shows up on the bank website.

In Quicken, I hid and closed the CD account and added the Money market. Everything looks fine in Quicken, except when I run the one-step update (or try to update that one account), I get an error that it can't update because an account has been closed.

In addition, I have the icon on all my closed accounts for "you have tasks to perform with these accounts". (All my closed accounts).

I'm stumped. I never had anything like this happen before.
Thanks.

Answers

• Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I still can't update this account on Quicken. Everything on the bank's side of OK. I keep getting an error of cc-800. I opened a Money Market account and closed my CD. In Quicken, I closed the CD account and added a new account, the Money Market.
    I retired to reset the Money Market account, but still get the same cc-8800 error.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you didn't deactivate the account from online services FIRST before closing the account, you'll get this message.  

What I would do (and there may be another way to fix this) is restore a backup PRIOR to closing the CD account, deactivate the account from downloads, sell the shares of the CD and/or move the cash balance to the money market account.

Then close the account.  

In Quicken Windows, I never close any accounts.  This is a one way street and you can't re-open them after you close them.  So I would just mark them as Keep This Account Separate, Hide In Transaction Entry Lists and Hide Account Name.

Also, when you go to do a One Step Update, enter your Password Vault password but do NOT press Update Now.  Select Settings instead and make sure the CD account doesn't appear in the list of accounts to update.  

Also, make sure you add all transactions back since the restore file date.  
  • Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    Gary,
    Thanks. I'll give that a try tomorrow since I would have to go back nine days. I'll have many transactions to add back in. May take a while.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    It was my understanding that when you close an account, it deactivates it first and then closes it.  But maybe I am wrong.  But here is another suggestion to try before going to your 9-day old back up.
    • Do a backup first just in case
    • Deactivate ALL accounts with this specific bank.
    • Reset your cloud data: Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync=On > "Reset your cloud data" (and once done you can turn it back off if that was your setting)
    • Exit and restart Quicken (you may have to re-login to your Quicken account)
    • In Preferences > Downloaded transactions, temporarily uncheck the option to "Automatically add to banking registers"
    • Don't reactivate the accounts, but instead do Tools > Add Account and select your bank and enter your login credentials
    • When your accounts are listed, select the LINK option (not Add) and only link the accounts that you want; ignore others
    Hopefully this approach works.  You may get duplicate transactions which should be easy to identify and delete by the dates in the downloaded transactions tab before accepting them.
    I personally backup Quicken every time I use it so that recovery would be very easy.
    Edit: There seems to be all kinds of strange issues reported in this community with R35.31.  You can research it.  Something to keep in mind and keep an eye on the next version.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was just thinking that there must be an easier way to do this rather than going back 9 days. Yes, there are some strange things going on with a few of my other accounts, too. I've been working on this for several days, and it seems that the more I do, the worse it gets.
    One thing that is strange is that ALL my closed accounts (over the last 5 years or so now have the "You have tasks to perform in these accounts". That was never there before.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with the close account process in Quicken is that it does not always work, especially if you closed connected accounts a few years ago.
    Try Validating and Supervalidating(*) your data file. IIRC, Quicken has added some code to the validation routines to correctly reset closed accounts' connection status.
    (*) Supervalidate: from the File Menu press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text. Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Yup, it is challenging to determine and resolve the issue since multiple things may have have gone wrong at the same time, R35.31 being one of them.  You can downgrade to the prior version (R35.26) by installing the mondo patch to [hopefully] eliminate one variable: https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
    And your 9 days old backup is pretty good too, so you can for sure recover.
    P.S. Without me making any assumptions, please ensure that your backups are time-stamped so that you don't overwrite a good one.

• Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    I did the Supervalidate. No errors.
    I do a backup every day also. It's just that this happened (now) 10 days ago and I've can't get it fixed.

From what I have already done, now I am having a problem with another account, that I can't get fixed either. (By the way, how can I change an account password? Now that's it's on a cloud, I can't just change it.)
    Why do all the accounts I closed over the years all of a sudden have a problem, too?
    I am just having a hard time with everything right now, and this is the last thing I need to worry about. But I have years of both business and personal data here. I can't just stop and start over.  I appreciate the help I've been getting, but I want to be sure I don't do any more damage.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    As long as you maintain and manage your backups separately including on an external media, you can restore again and again and try all kinds of stuff and experiments without worry. We are just community members with the objective to help and learn. I certainly understand your hesitation and therefore I suggest that you contact Quicken support directly.

This discussion has been closed.