Cannot close an Account - says this account has securities clear the securities before you close the

Cannot close a trading account that I had for about 10 years. It has been closed for some time but I cannot close in Quicken. Message says this account has securities clear the securities before you close the account. I have read all of the discussions and proposed remedies on this topic. I have tried everything suggested. I don't see where this was resolved in any prior discussions. I have show hidden transactions turned on. I did the Ctrl Z. I transferred the securities to a new account (I could then close the old account but could not close the account I transferred the transactions to). I went in and did sell all shares on the last 10 stock transactions. Note that I have hundreds of stock transactions that I could not feasibly do a sell all on all of them. There is zero balance in the account. There is nothing showing when I click on holdings. I have repaired my data file multiple times. I have backed up and restored the file to a new file. NOTHING seems to fix this so looking for a solution. This is an investment/brokerage account - never had any options in this account. I have tried to find fractional shares through every means suggested and cannot find any,

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We never close accounts in Quicken.  Instead, we deactivate the Online Services, and hide and rename the register using a prefix of ZZ.  I suggest you consider doing something similar.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I do the same as @Sherlock with the exception that I don't select the "Keep this account separate", I do want my old accounts to show up in reports like net worth by default.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jaygraver
    jaygraver Member ✭✭
    I do not want to exclude it from reporting - for historical reports like account balances and net worth over time. Quicken should fix whatever bug is causing this. I do hide it from account bar.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Holdings View or a Portfolio View on this account, showing all (including hidden) securities, should show if, for whatever reason, Quicken thinks you still own a small number of shares, e.g., 0.000012 shares.
    Not too long ago, Quicken changed a calculation logic for number of shares which can now show shares with up to 6 decimal places. This caused small holdings to popup unexpectedly in some cases.
    Please make sure that in Edit / Preferences / Reports only "Decimal places for prices and shares" is set to 6, then review your reports for a non-zero number of shares holding on one or more securities.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    jaygraver said:
    I do not want to exclude it from reporting - for historical reports like account balances and net worth over time. Quicken should fix whatever bug is causing this. I do hide it from account bar.
    You do not need to exclude it from reporting. 

If you think Quicken has a bug, I suggest you report the issue to Quicken: select Help > Report a problem...
  • jaygraver
    jaygraver Member ✭✭
    @UKR - thanks for the suggestion but no securities with decimal shares are showing. Will report the bug to Quicken @Sherlock
This discussion has been closed.