Connectivity to Schwab Accounts via Quicken One-Step Update

I've been chasing my tail for months trying to figure out why I can no longer connect to my Schwab accounts via One Step Update. I've spoken to both Quicken and Schwab Support on multiple occasions. Today, I found an obscure third-party article on the web that indicates Schwab removed their OFX/Direct Connect server LAST FALL. Doh! Why didn't Schwab say something? Why didn't Quicken know about this and come up with an alternative solution? Seems the two companies ought to get together on this!

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Please provide the full name of the financial institution.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That article most certainly is wrong as I've been downloading from Schwab for years and did so again just today.
    From what you've said here it seems like you've been able to download from Schwab in the past but can no longer do so?  What version of Quicken are you using?  If it's not the subscription version then the last pre-subscription version - 2017 - no longer has the ability to download from any financial institution.  If you're on the subscription version then you need to provide some details about your situation.
  • R35.31 Subscription
  • Error message: Sorry. We've encountered an error. It's not your fault.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point I'd suggest you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance.  You shouldn't be having this problem and I'd expect the support agents will ask for your log files in order try and determine what the problem is.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wherever you found that article I don't think it is correct, certainly there would be a lot more complaints here if they dropped support.  What's more it seems like for some reason there have been several reports about passwords with special characters not working for some of the financial institutions, including Schwab.

For instance this thread:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7899366/schwab-passwords-with-special-characters

I'm not sure what is going on here, but clearly Schwab is still supporting Quicken, and you have either this same problem with passwords or maybe something else is going on.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is possible that somehow the 3rd party access was disabled on the Schwab side - which will give you that exact same error message (I have personally experienced this).  Takes only few seconds to investigate:   Login to your Schwab online account > expand your browser window and click on the dropdown arrow next to the upper far right circle account icon > select Security Center > scroll to the bottom where it says "Third-Party Access to Account Information".  Is it enabled and does it show Quicken as in below?  If not, enable it.

[Optional Step] If that was the case, you may have to first deactivate ALL of your Schwab accounts in Quicken and then re-activate them for the newly enabled 3rd party access to get refreshed and recognized.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Rendon
    Rendon Member ✭✭
    I'm trying to connect my new Charles Schwab account to my Quicken data. I went to my Charles Schwab web site, and then the Security Center. While I found the section "Third-party access to account information". there was no sub-section for Quicken or Turbo-Tax allowing me to enable the access. All I see is the initial text. Do I have to enable something elsewhere?