Quicken Crashes when I click on Investing - Sept 2021

Options
Quicken Premier. Update nR35.31 Build 27.1.35.31 . This installed, I worked without issue, but when I click on investing it crashes. I restated my computer. Reinstalled the updated, restarted, and it is still crasing

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file. For example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
    Usually your file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
        https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• Cadap
    Cadap Member
    Options
    Thank you for your guidance. In the end the only backup that would install was so old, I could not recreate my data for the year. So I took the most recent backup, and deleted all the investments accounts, which is what was giving Quicken a heartattack. I perhaps will try opening the old backup and deleting one investment account at time, to see who was causing the issue. But covid fatigue leaves me to think, I'll leave well enough alone. Thanks again for your very clear instructions
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Cadap Are you aware of Quicken's automatic backups that should be in a Backup folder within the folder holding your main QDF file?  I would expect that to be much newer than 1-year old.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do be sure to have your backups set up properly in Quicken, both the Automatic Backups and the Manual Backups. You can find the settings in Edit / Preferences / Backup.  Don't rely on the installation defaults. That might not be sufficient.
    Write the Manual Backups to an external USB-stick  or USB hard drive every time you close Quicken. Use the "Add a date stamp to file name" option so that you have multiple backup files (not just one file that gets replaced every time).
    Also enable and set your Automatic backups to create a backup "every 1 time Quicken closes". Retain 10 copies.
    One can never have enough backups …

This discussion has been closed.