Can public.com accounts be accessed through Quicken?

When trying to add an account, Quicken recognizes public.com as a financial institution, but when I try to connect to my account, I get a CC-501 error (which they say is a Quicken problem, not a public.com problem). Any information appreciated.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    The FIDIR list shows Public.com supports Express Web Connect (EWC) which is good for Bank and Credit Card accounts but cannot be used with Investment accounts.:
    67797    67797    67797    Public    https://public.com    NA    https://public.com    ACTIVE                   BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA
    If you are trying to set up downloads of bank or credit card accounts from Public then you should be able to do that.
    But my understanding is that Public is a brokerage and for that Public would need to support Direct Connect (DC).  Public would need to contract with Quicken to get DC support established.  Unless and until that happens, you will not be able to download any investment accounts data and transactions into Quicken.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Before I leave, I'll add that I did not specify the type of account that I wished to access from Quicken. When Quicken tried to access public.com, I'm guessing it may have found no valid accounts and kicked the CC-501 response, which is inaccurate. Quicken should have politely told me that it could not find any banking or credit accounts with public.com. That would have been helpful. I guess it was too much trouble for the computer programmers. Thanks, @Boatnmaniac.
    You are welcome.  There is one thing you might want to consider looking into.  If Public supports transaction downloads in Excel, CSV, OXF or QIF formats, there is a workaround process for manually downloading and importing into Quicken.  It involves dowloading and installing ImportQIF which is a freeware program that can convert these file formats into something Quicken can import.  The program was developed by a long-time Quicken user and participant in Community.  If you are interested, you can read up on the program and download it from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/.
    BTW, your assumption is correct.  Quicken contacts the Financial Institution and if it finds no valid accounts it will kick out an error code...CC-501 is common for attempted EWC connections.
    I, too, find that some of the responses provided by the program are not very intuitive and could be more specific.  And there are error codes other than CC-501 that more clearly identify when the Financial Institution returns a message of no accounts found so why aren't they used?
    I also wonder why some brokerages will contract with Quicken for EWC but not for DC.  I mean, they need to pay for those services and why pay for something your customers cannot use?  Public is not the only brokerage that has done this.  It's baffled me for a long time.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-cc-501
  • Jim McLaughlin
    Jim McLaughlin Member ✭✭✭
    Yep. No help there. Been trying a while.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yep. No help there. Been trying a while.
    What did Quicken Support say when you contacted them as indicated in their guidance?
  • Jim McLaughlin
    That's next. Thought I would check with the community first. It's usually faster.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    That's next. Thought I would check with the community first. It's usually faster.
    So, you didn't follow their guidance as you previously indicated.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    The FIDIR list shows Public.com supports Express Web Connect (EWC) which is good for Bank and Credit Card accounts but cannot be used with Investment accounts.:
    67797    67797    67797    Public    https://public.com    NA    https://public.com    ACTIVE                   BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA
    If you are trying to set up downloads of bank or credit card accounts from Public then you should be able to do that.
    But my understanding is that Public is a brokerage and for that Public would need to support Direct Connect (DC).  Public would need to contract with Quicken to get DC support established.  Unless and until that happens, you will not be able to download any investment accounts data and transactions into Quicken.

• Jim McLaughlin
    Thank you for uninviting me to the community. I will be showing myself out now.
  • Jim McLaughlin
    Before I leave, I'll add that I did not specify the type of account that I wished to access from Quicken. When Quicken tried to access public.com, I'm guessing it may have found no valid accounts and kicked the CC-501 response, which is inaccurate. Quicken should have politely told me that it could not find any banking or credit accounts with public.com. That would have been helpful. I guess it was too much trouble for the computer programmers. Thanks, @Boatnmaniac.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    You are welcome.  There is one thing you might want to consider looking into.  If Public supports transaction downloads in Excel, CSV, OXF or QIF formats, there is a workaround process for manually downloading and importing into Quicken.  It involves dowloading and installing ImportQIF which is a freeware program that can convert these file formats into something Quicken can import.  The program was developed by a long-time Quicken user and participant in Community.  If you are interested, you can read up on the program and download it from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/.
    BTW, your assumption is correct.  Quicken contacts the Financial Institution and if it finds no valid accounts it will kick out an error code...CC-501 is common for attempted EWC connections.
    I, too, find that some of the responses provided by the program are not very intuitive and could be more specific.  And there are error codes other than CC-501 that more clearly identify when the Financial Institution returns a message of no accounts found so why aren't they used?
    I also wonder why some brokerages will contract with Quicken for EWC but not for DC.  I mean, they need to pay for those services and why pay for something your customers cannot use?  Public is not the only brokerage that has done this.  It's baffled me for a long time.

• Jim McLaughlin
    Highly useful feedback.
  • Jim McLaughlin
    For everyone's benefit, public.com (per their note to me) does not offer any 3rd party connection services, so I'm not even sure why Q lists it as a possibility. Oh, well.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2021
    For everyone's benefit, public.com (per their note to me) does not offer any 3rd party connection services, so I'm not even sure why Q lists it as a possibility. Oh, well.
    Quicken lists it because at one time Public contracted with Quicken for it...Quicken does not add any Financial Institution to the list for free.  But that also then goes back to the question about why some brokerages will pay to set up Quicken for EWC connections (like what Public did) when DC is what is needed to download investment accounts data and transactions?  Why pay for something that cannot be used by their customers?  Like you said, "Oh, well."
    Thanks for getting back to us with Public's response.  Perhaps it will help another Public customer in the future.

• Jim McLaughlin
    I certainly see you point, but if I were running Q, I'd be quick to add (for free) any financial institution that SHOULD use Q so that I could gather information that might serve that first sales call with that institution. Just sayin'. I agree it's unlikely, but it's been known to happen. ;)
This discussion has been closed.