Why had one category disappeared from my category list?

Options
eaduddy
eaduddy Member ✭✭
Quicken isn't recognizing one of my categories. I checked the category list and it's not there. Previous transactions using this category are still properly recorded. When I type the category name into the register, I'm prompted to recreate the category. I can get the needed category in by cutting and pasting from a previous entry. I made no changes to the file yesterday.

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @eaduddy,

Was the missing "Category" one of the standard categories or was it a custom category that you created? 

When you open up the "Category List" ( go to > "Tools" > "Category List" ) is the "Show hidden categories? check-box at the bottom checked?  Also, do you see the missing category on the list?

If you cannot see the category on the Category List after toggling the "Show hidden categories" checkbox, I suggest that you backup your current Quicken Datafile and perform a "Validation & Repair" on the Datafile.

Here's a LINK to the guidance for that.  You should follow the section entitled "Fourth, Copy your file and Validate".

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    HI @eaduddy,

It is hard to know for sure why it happened.  And don't worry - if it does happen again, just come back here and someone will help you!

Take care.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @eaduddy,

Was the missing "Category" one of the standard categories or was it a custom category that you created? 

When you open up the "Category List" ( go to > "Tools" > "Category List" ) is the "Show hidden categories? check-box at the bottom checked?  Also, do you see the missing category on the list?

If you cannot see the category on the Category List after toggling the "Show hidden categories" checkbox, I suggest that you backup your current Quicken Datafile and perform a "Validation & Repair" on the Datafile.

Here's a LINK to the guidance for that.  You should follow the section entitled "Fourth, Copy your file and Validate".

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

• eaduddy
    eaduddy Member ✭✭
    Options
    The "show hidden categories" box was unchecked. When I checked it, the category returned. Why did this randomly happen? I will never remember this "fix" if it happens again.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For some reason, e.g., an accidental click on the category's "Hide" checkbox while in the Category List view, this category was marked as hidden.
    You may want to remove the "Hide" checkmark from that category.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    HI @eaduddy,

It is hard to know for sure why it happened.  And don't worry - if it does happen again, just come back here and someone will help you!

Take care.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.