Long term user with question about deactivating bank acct when downloading Investment info

Long term user of Quicken. Have years of history in two Quicken files.

One Quicken file is for banking and credit cards only and the second Quicken file is for investment account information only. Note the the investment accounts are not at same brokerage firm as the banking and credit cards.

In process of transferring investment accounts from current brokerage firm to brokerage firm that holds banking and credit cards. Thus my banking and credit cards and investment accounts will be at the same brokerage firm. My need is to keep historical and future banking transaction/history separate from historical and future investment activity. I would like to continue to have two separate accounts - one for banking and credit cards and one for investments even though all of the information will be in one brokerage firm. In my banking and credit card Quicken file, I want to be able to turn off the investment acct information when I download the banking and credit card info (e.g. use deactivate for the investment accts). For my Quicken investment file, i want to deactivate the banking and credit card accounts. Will this work?

Thanks,

JO

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Yes.  If you don't want investment account registers in the banking and credit card file or banking and credit card account registers in the investment file, I suggest you do not add the unwanted account registers to the files.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Yes, it is quite easy to accomplish that. 
    When you first set up your new Financial Institution for download Quicken will prompt you to decide what to do with the data for each of the accounts that was downloaded.
    • For the account(s) you wish to keep for future downloads you can select Add to Quicken (or if you had previously set up the new account manually first...Link to existing account). 
    • For the other accounts, select Don't add to Quicken.
    That's it.  When you run OSU in the future only the account(s) you Added or Linked will download.
    If during the initial download process you accidentally Add all of them to Quicken, simply go to Account Details for each of the accounts you no longer want to include in the data file, click on Delete Account, type in Yes and click on OK.  Those accounts will be deactivated as they are deleted and only the non-deleted accounts will then update during future OSUs.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• jo18
    jo18 Member ✭✭
    Great information. Note that my "new" financial institution is an the existing financial institution holding my banking and credit card info. Does this clarification change your instructions above?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    jo18 said:
    Great information. Note that my "new" financial institution is an the existing financial institution holding my banking and credit card info. Does this clarification change your instructions above?
    No.  We may choose to access any of our accounts at the same financial institution from multiple Quicken files.
  • jo18
    jo18 Member ✭✭
    I'm on it. Thanks,

JO