Memorized Payee

Is it possible to stop a memorized payee from appearing in the register drop down without deleting it?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.  Are you requesting that an item in your Memorized Payee List (CTRL-T) NOT appear when you're manually inputting a transaction?
    If so, that's an oxymoronic request.  The entire purpose of the MPL is to show when you're inputting transactions.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @loilars

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. I apologize you are having this issue and for the confusion. However, there isn’t a way to have a memorized payee not appear in the drop down menu within the register. Sorry if this has caused an inconvenience. 

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would try renaming the Memorized Payee to add the letter Z at the beginning of the payee name. For example, Starbucks would be renamed to ZStarbucks.

The renamed payee will still be visible in the register drop down list, but it will be at the bottom of the list. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @mshiggins

Thank you for suggesting that, it's a great workaround!

-Quicken Paloma 
  • loilars
    loilars Member ✭✭
    Thank you mshiggins for the helpful suggestion. As to the first response, in Quickbooks you can deactivate vendors without deleting them so that's what I was looking for. There are payees that I don't use anymore but I don't want to delete them for historical records. There is also the off chance I use them again which has happened in Quickbooks. Some of these pop up when I am entering a transaction with a more frequently used payee (for example University of pops up when I go to type Univest. The University payee hasn't been used in about six years, I use Univest all of the time) so I thought possibly there was a simple solution. I will roll with the Z suggestion. Thank you.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For as long as you have at least one transaction in Quicken referring to a certain payee name, the payee name / customer name / vendor name remains available to Payee Name selection lists throughout Quicken.
    In banking registers, when you select a Payee Name for a new transaction, the generated list consists primarily of Memorized Payee List entries.
    If your Memorized Payee List has grown in size over the years and needs a trim to remove rarely used payee names from the selection list, consider activating and using this setting: In Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill there's a setting "[ ] remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months". Put a checkmark in the box to the left of this setting and set "[xx]" to something like 24, to remove MPL entries not used in 2 years.
    AFAIK, changes to this setting take effect next time you restart Quicken.
  • Mr.C.
    Mr.C. Member
    How many entries can the MPL hold? my list doen not autofill any more when using the same Payee, I have been using for about a month now.