Auto change category assigned from Paypal download

Aloha. I use Quicken and Paypal to manage the finances for a club. I only use Paypal to collect payments (i.e.: I don't pay any bills with PayPal, just collect membership dues). I download transactions from Paypal using One Step Update and they show up in the register for my Paypal account. The problem is that the categories assigned are not the ones I want to use. How do I change the categories so that they are automatically assigned my preferred ones? I know how to do this manually, but I'm getting tired of this process.

Specifically, when a member pays for membership, it shows up as 'Other Inc'. I want it to be 'Membership Dues' (a category I created). And the Paypal fees show up as 'Fees and Charges' instead of 'Paypal Fees'.

Please note that the 'Payee' field is different for each member who makes a payment, so the Memorized Payee stuff doesn't apply here. I would have to create a memorized transaction for each member of the club.

I'm using Quicken for Windows R35.31 Build 27.1.3531 on Windows 10 Home.

Mahalo,

Harry Z

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    harryz said:
    Please note that the 'Payee' field is different for each member who makes a payment, so the Memorized Payee stuff doesn't apply here. I would have to create a memorized transaction for each member of the club.
    In fact it does apply here, since it the only way to automatically fill in the correct category.  But the piece of the puzzle you are missing is the renaming rule to "normalize" the payee, so that it will match up with just one memorized payee.

I don't charge for my software program any more, but I still had the entries in my renaming rules/memorized payees for PayPal payments, which should line up with what you are doing.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/