Understanding of XLN (XIn - Cash balance adjustments with Placeholders)

System
System Member admin
edited October 2023 in Investing (Windows)
This discussion was created from comments split from: Why do I randomly see Quicken freeze when doing a report?.

[edited title for clarity - JH]

Comments

• KlisterKid
    KlisterKid Member ✭✭✭
    When I enter a buy/sell I see the cash account with the offsetting entry. Recently, I've been seeing XLN as an adjustment along with buy/sell without the offsetting entry in the cash account. Does anybody know why?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is XLN and exactly where are you seeing it? Post a screen shot?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• KlisterKid
    KlisterKid Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    XLN was an old means to balance missing transfers. I can't seem to find any examples in my quicken database. How did you connect XLN to the issue I reported? Sorry, I can't understand unless you explain.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    You mentioned XLN in your 2nd post. I have never seen that acronym before and wondered what it meant and where you were seeing it in Quicken. I'm at least as confused as you are. 

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure he doesn't mean XIN?
  • KlisterKid
    KlisterKid Member ✭✭✭
    I discovered where XLN originates. If one enters an investment transaction before "some" date, Quicken enters a XLN to update the cash balance even though a cash account exists. Since "some" date was strange as I've always been able to enter dates in the past, I went into Register Preferences, Notify (when entering out of date txns, and removed the check. Somehow it would not surprise me the some of these quicken updates have changed users' preferences; e.g., I don't sync with the cloud so I had to change that preference also.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    This discussion has changed from the original topic, which had to do with Quicken freezing on multiple monitors. But to continue the new topic:  

[edited with understanding of "XLN"]
    There is no XLN in Quicken, but there are XIn transactions, short for cash Xferred INto an account.

Your description of Quicken updating the cash balance to compensate for investment transactions sounds like what happens when you enter transactions prior to a Placeholder in an investing account.

If you enter any transaction that would affect the account's cash balance and there is a Placeholder for that security with a later date, Quicken automatically adds an XIn transaction with a description of Cash Balance Adjustment, to prevent the cash balance from changing. To further confuse matters, the Placeholders and adjustment transaction are sometimes hidden. 

To make the Placeholders and adjustments visible, go the Edit > Preferences > Investing Transactions and check the Show hidden transactions box.

Before entering missing transactions like Buys and Sells that affect the cash balance when there are Placeholders, you must first delete the Placeholders. 

Be sure to back up your data file before adjusting historic transactions.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

I don't know what XLN is and have never seen it in Quicken...

"Xln" is a "Transfered Cash in" transaction in Quicken.  It has been for a long time, and still is, available in some investment accounts and maybe in certain other accounts.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aha. As in cash Xferred INto Account. I missed the confusion between L and upper case i.

That would be consistent with the automatic cash balance adjustments I described above.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.