Reconciling - Prior Balance is Incorrect

David Green
David Green Member ✭✭✭
I am trying to reconcile one of my accounts, and the prior balance is incorrect by 220.00. It was not incorrect the last time I reconciled. In fact that was shortly after I moved from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows and I spent considerable time ensuring transactions were accurate for this account.
I found this thread: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20056796#Comment_20056796

I am quite sure that no transactions have changed status, nor were any deleted.
I went back to a backup and restored that. I moved transactions from Reconciled to cleared for the previous 3 months and started reconciling. I got the same number as being off by 220.00 I can't find any 220.00 deposits anywhere that would skew that number. Has anyone seen quicken be wrong in this calculation?
Quicken for Windows Premiere
Always the latest version

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken wrong? No. It is always due to a reconcile status changing, a transaction being added in the R state or an R state transaction being deleted.  Now, I used singular on the # of transactions, but it could be more than one that is causing it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• David Green
    David Green Member ✭✭✭
    The problem with that is it wasn't wrong last month or the month before that. I went back 3 months and it is always off by the same 220.00. It is 220.00 too high, meaning Quicken has reconciled transactions that somehow have added that much in deposits to this account to at least 3 months last month.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restore a backup from a couple months back and write down the running end of month balance for the account for the last two years and end of year for several years before that.
    Are the balances as those same end of month balances in the current file?  If not, look for either a deleted transaction(s), a duplicate transaction(s) or added transactions(s).
    There is something different.  The beginning balance of a reconcile is calculated (sum of all the R transactions), it is not stored, so something changed to make the calculation be different.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• David Green
    David Green Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I found the problem. My most recent backup was also wrong. I did a backup of my current file just in case. Then I sorted the transactions by reconciled status. This gave a running daily total. I took bank statements and first started going backwards by month comparing the bank statement closing date amount to Quicken. After a few months it was still off so I then went every 6 months. In the middle of 2017 it was correct so I started moving forward by month. December of 2017 the closing amount and every month after that was off. I found my bank statement for that month had 2 cash withdrawals on the same day for the same amount but for different bank branches. The amount matched the reconciliation difference. Quicken was missing one of them. I added the second one. December 2017 and the next 3 months were good so I fast forwarded to last month, it is good.
  • I had a similar problem. Found that since my last reconciliation Quicken had disappeared 6 reconciled credit card payments over the last 8 months. Look for a missing payment transaction.
This discussion has been closed.