"Uncharacterized" Entries [edited]

fcemlreg
fcemlreg Member ✭✭
Of recent weeks Q-Windows is declaring that entries are characterized whenever there is a blank line in between the list of items making up the entry? I often use memorized transactions, where a line will have a zero entry that month. If I eliminate that blank line, such as by copying up the last line into the empty line, then the error goes away.

But that is a pain!

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    In the case of the blank line in the middle of the list of splits (no Category, no amount) , it shows as Uncategorized transaction on the Home tab Dashboard.

If you click on the transaction there, it takes you to the Spending tab, where it shows an amount of zero and a blank transaction with the split date at the bottom. That does seem confusing.

If you sometimes want to delete lines from splits in memorized payees, you can Lock the transaction in the Memorized payee list, then when you use it you can pick Edit and Delete for the lines you do not want. The memorized payee entry will not be changed. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    fcemlreg said:
    Thanks for correcting my word, but the issue remains.
    My latest test confirms that an amount without a category is un-categorized, but so is an empty split transaction line above the bottom of the list. So, it seems that for such lines do give them a category even though there may be no amount on that line.
    Thanks for clarification, I didn't get it before that the line didn't have an amount on it. 

This is inconsistent with the way it works on the Classic Dashboard.  Retested with a blank line:

"Uncategorized transactions" show up here where I indicated above.

Here is what happens if I put an amount on that split line.

So I would consider this a bug.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Do you mean "Uncategorized", i.e transactions where no Category has been assigned?

What I see in QWin R35.31 is that if there is a split transaction with a blank line in the list of splits, it shows as Uncategorized with an amount of 0.00 when I hover over the category box in the transaction, but I do not see Quicken flagging it as uncategorized in reports. Where exactly are you seeing this error? 
  • fcemlreg
    fcemlreg Member ✭✭
    I see it in the new Home Dashboard under "uncharacterized transactions".
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    fcemlreg said:
    I see it in the new Home Dashboard under "uncharacterized transactions".
    It isn't uncharacterized, it is Uncategorized.

And as @Jim_Harman a split line without a category is an uncategorized transaction.

Signature:
  • fcemlreg
    fcemlreg Member ✭✭
    My latest test confirms that an amount without a category is un-categorized, but so is an empty split transaction line above the bottom of the list. So, it seems that for such lines do give them a category even though there may be no amount on that line.
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    In the case of the blank line in the middle of the list of splits (no Category, no amount) , it shows as Uncategorized transaction on the Home tab Dashboard.

If you click on the transaction there, it takes you to the Spending tab, where it shows an amount of zero and a blank transaction with the split date at the bottom. That does seem confusing.

If you sometimes want to delete lines from splits in memorized payees, you can Lock the transaction in the Memorized payee list, then when you use it you can pick Edit and Delete for the lines you do not want. The memorized payee entry will not be changed. 
  • fcemlreg
    fcemlreg Member ✭✭
    Yes. Not a big deal, but a bug that could use fixing. Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    fcemlreg said:
    Thanks for clarification, I didn't get it before that the line didn't have an amount on it. 

This is inconsistent with the way it works on the Classic Dashboard.  Retested with a blank line:

"Uncategorized transactions" show up here where I indicated above.

Here is what happens if I put an amount on that split line.

So I would consider this a bug.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.