Can't download new data

I'm trying to update my Visa data. It appears to connect and work, with no error messages, but then there is nothing to review and it indicates the last update was back in June. Cleared transactions are shown in the register as of the end of June. My other accounts are updating just fine. How can I get this unstuck?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried Reset Account or Deactivate/Reactivate (Online Services tab of Account Details)?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• GrahamNet
    GrahamNet Member ✭✭
    I did try the Reset but it failed. I'll try the Deactivate/Reactivate sequence. Thanks
  • GrahamNet
    GrahamNet Member ✭✭
    Deactivate/Reactivate sequence failed. I am unable to restore the connection to the Visa account. There must be a simple answer for this. I am able to sign on to my account through a browser, but through Quicken is a nogo.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Who is the Visa card issued by?

• GrahamNet
    GrahamNet Member ✭✭
    Capital One
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For quite some time now Capital One has required a security procedure to allow apps like Quicken to access their servers.
    AFAIK, to get this set up properly, you need to logon to the Cap One website with a browser while Quicken is running. Once logged on in the browser, click the "v" icon in the upper right hand corner, next to your avatar image and select Security. In there you should find instructions to add a linked app. Once selected, this starts a 10 minute timer. During these 10 minutes run an "Update Now" in Quicken from your card account register. This, in turn, should trigger a confirmation prompt on the webpage (IIRC ... it's been a while since I had to do this).
    If all else fails, call Cap One support and let them walk you thru the procedure.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2021
    (Edited:  Deleted my post because I'd forgotten about that online authorization process required by CapOne that is mentioned by @UKR .  If the authorization process does not fix this issue I will add other possible troubleshooting steps.  But I suspect that completing the online authorization process will resolve the connection issue.)

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2021
    (Edit:  Deleted per my previous post.)

• GrahamNet
    GrahamNet Member ✭✭
    Thanks for everyone's help on this. I am up and running again, but I wanted to circle back to report on how this went. While this was going on I had to manually download from Cap One. In the setup it gave the appearance of being "connected", even though I had deactivated it earlier. When I went to try UKR's process, Quicken took over as though it was a brand new setup. My Cap One account still indicated a "link" was active, so I just proceeded with following Quicken's instructions. It worked surprisingly well and got me reconnected, albeit with a ton of downloaded transactions that duplicated what I had already done manually. Also, I noted that Cap One was not helpful in the beginning, and Quicken support reported to me that the inability to connect was a "known issue". I explained it went on for a week and they acknowledged that as well and told me to just keep trying every 24 hours. I don't know the validity of that part. Thanks again Boatnmaniac and UKR for your help. R
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2021
    @GrahamNet - Good to hear that you got it working, again.  Please clarify: Did you or did you not need to reauthorize Quicken on the Cap One website?
    A few comments:
    • There are 3 types of download connections available:  Direct Connect and Express Web Connect (both are where downloads are initiated from within Quicken) and Web Connect (manual download initiated from the online account).  No matter which one you are set up with, it will show up in Quicken as "an active link."  You might have deactivated the Direct Connect/Express Web Connect link but you did have an active Web Connect link so Quicken correctly showed that you had an active link.
    • When changing the type of connection it is usually normal to be taken through the setup process as if it is a new account set up.  During that process, Quicken will usually offer the ability to link the download(s) to an existing account(s) in Quicken, so actual new account(s) set up is avoided.
    • Quicken "remembers" downloaded data but when the connection method is changed the data that is downloaded is a bit different than before so that memory is often lost.  Hence, the duplicate transactions that were entered during the initial download process of the new connection method.  Fortunately, it is only a 1X occurrence and that the duplicates go back in most cases only 60-90 days (the number of days of transactions that are downloaded is determined by the financial institution, not by Quicken) making it fairly easy to manually delete those duplicates.

• GrahamNet
    GrahamNet Member ✭✭
    Sorry for the delayed response. I did not need to reauthorize from Cap One. It picked up from my original authorization.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Thank you for the follow-up post, @GrahamNet .  This could be helpful to others who might be having the same issue and read this thread.