RTN vs RTX CUSIP Error - How to correct?

Options
Within the Security list, the CUSIP numbers for RTN vs RTX are reversed. This appears to have been the case since the April, 2020, rename after the UTX merger. This causes an incorrect stock count error window every time my financial institution updates my RTX holdings.

Within the article " Issues renaming two securities during different mergers - RAYTHEON & ALIANZ FDS" there is a multi-step process to correct this. However, I for one do not feel comfortable with this.

Why can't Quicken allow for the editing of CUSIPs?

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The CUSIPS get assigned to the Quicken securities when you match them to information downloaded from your financial institution.  All that you need to do is:
    a)  Edit the security Details for the RTN and RTX securities - uncheck the box for "Matched with online security"
    b)  Tools / Online Center
    -- Select the proper financial institution,
    -- Select a proper account,
    -- Click the Holdings tab
    -- Click the "Compare to portfolio" button.
    Quicken should then prompt you to match the financial institution's holding of RTX to one of your Quicken securities.  Be sure it is matching correctly.  Since RTN is no longer traded (no active CUSIP), no matching for it should take place.

Note that correcting the CUSIP association will not alter the historical prices.  If those are in error since April 2020, other steps will be necessary to make corrections.

Similarly, historical dividend transactions will not be altered.  Manual corrections of those could also be necessary.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The CUSIPS get assigned to the Quicken securities when you match them to information downloaded from your financial institution.  All that you need to do is:
    a)  Edit the security Details for the RTN and RTX securities - uncheck the box for "Matched with online security"
    b)  Tools / Online Center
    -- Select the proper financial institution,
    -- Select a proper account,
    -- Click the Holdings tab
    -- Click the "Compare to portfolio" button.
    Quicken should then prompt you to match the financial institution's holding of RTX to one of your Quicken securities.  Be sure it is matching correctly.  Since RTN is no longer traded (no active CUSIP), no matching for it should take place.

Note that correcting the CUSIP association will not alter the historical prices.  If those are in error since April 2020, other steps will be necessary to make corrections.

Similarly, historical dividend transactions will not be altered.  Manual corrections of those could also be necessary.

• Mike.R.Court
    Options
    Thanks, this should work, except will it not leave both RTN and RTX with the same CUSIP? The Security list shows RTN and RTX but each with the others CUSIPs.
  • Mike.R.Court
    Options
    Oops, I corrected this initial response but was not posted. The solution worked. RTX has the correct CUSIP, RTN has none.

I wished Quicken Support had provided this solution instead of first directed me to the financial institution (not our problem) and then to the Quicken Community.