Sync Error (Mac)

John L4
John L4 Member ✭✭
This error warning started to pop up whenever updating with the program update on 8-27-2021. A new update on 9-3-27 did not resolve it. I only update one account on line and have reloaded it twice. There was a similar problem reported on 8-2-2021 titled "Tonight I am getting "Sync Error" Warning. Anyone?" that is now closed. Image attached.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the update!

At this point, I recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support directly instead, for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Hello @John L4,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, I suggest that you try to reset your Quicken Cloud. Doing so does not affect your data file nor other Cloud Accounts (if applicable). Please, follow the instructions below in order to do so.
    1. Navigate to the Quicken dropdown menu 
    2. Preferences... 
    3. Mobile, Web & Alerts
    4. Use the toggle button on the left to turn Sync OFF 
    5. Click Disable Sync
    6. Navigate to Connected Services
    7. Click Reset (click Reset again on the pop-up box)
    8. Once the Reset completes, navigate back to Mobile, Web & Alerts
    9. Use the toggle button on the left to turn Sync ON
    10. Click Enable Sync
    Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• John L4
    John L4 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your reply and suggested solution. I went through the procedure and regrettably the problem is still there, still getting the warning pop-up window. However, I'm still able to update with the one source I do online (USAA Credit Card with the extra layer of a secondary code), but the warning pop-up persists.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited September 2021
    Thank you for trying those steps and for providing an update, though I apologize for the delay in my response.

Next, I suggest manually resetting the cloud account instead.

To do this, first, save a backup (just in case). Sign out of the mobile and/or web apps (if applicable). Then, follow the instructions provided below to remove the cloud account from your main data file (this does not affect your data saved with your file).
    1. Navigate to the Quicken dropdown menu
    2. Preferences...
    3. Mobile, Sync & Alerts and use the toggle button on the left to turn Sync OFF
    4. Click Disable Sync
    5. Close Preferences
    6. Open a different data file, or if you don't have a second data file to open, then create a temporary new data file (click here to view instructions under To create a new data file).
    7. Once you've opened a different data file, navigate back to Quicken
    8. Preferences...
    9. Connected Services
    10. Click on See all cloud accounts 
    11. Select the cloud account name from your original file
    12. Click the minus-sign (-) in the bottom left corner
    13. On the pop-up screen, click Delete Cloud Account
    14. Switch back to your original data file (click here to view instructions, scroll down to Switching between data files)
    15. Once you've returned to your original data file, navigate back to Quicken
    16. Preferences...
    17. Mobile, Sync & Alerts and use the toggle button on the left to turn Sync ON
    18. Click Enable Sync
    Once the sync completes, sign back in on your Mobile and/or Web app(s) to check and see if this resolved the issue. You can then also delete the new file you previously created as well as its cloud account (if applicable).

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• John L4
    John L4 Member ✭✭
    I had my doubts about your instructions, considered them for two weeks, but after the update tonight 9-24-2021 (second update since this began with the update on 8027-21), it is still there, but now causing the error popup screen above at the start of syncing and at the end.

After studying your instructions I followed them to the letter. All went well, the original file in which the problem is occurring was deleted after turning off sync, then rebooted and restored. I went to Preferences, Mobile Syncs & Alerts, and discovered Quicken was totally locked up, so much so I could not even do a graceful restart of my iMac. I had to do a forced shut down and reboot. Initially it would not let me back into Mobile Syncs & Alerts, but finally did, where I turned it on, only to discover the error screen persists at start and finish of sync. This was a near-disaster.

I'm sorry, but the fact that this error started immediately after installation of the update on 8-27-2021 points to your update. My MacOS is 11.6 and my current Quicken is Version 6.4.1. My sense has been since the error started that this is related to USAA accounts that now require a secondary security code, and that 8-27 update which likely changed that Quicken for Mac function of secondary code updating.

I need a new plan please, and not one that locks up my Mac. Thank you.
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the update!

At this point, I recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support directly instead, for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I had this problem early on with Quicken Mac subscription.

Talked to support multiple times with this same issue.  And somewhere along the line with all the upgrades, your data file has some corruption.  

We had to do the "nuclear option" to get rid of this error.

1 Sign out of the mobile app, if you're using it.

2 If Sync to Mobile is turned on in the desktop, deselect all available accounts to download and then RESET the cloud.  Then turn off Sync to Mobile.

3 Export your data file and use the .QXF format.

4 Start a new data file and make sure you do NOT select Sync to Mobile as an option.

5 When prompted, just start a new file.  Do not select one of the other options.

6 In your blank data file, IMPORT the .QXF file you exported earlier.

This may take a while for the import.

The "nuclear" part is...all reports, budgets and scheduled transactions will need to be re-created.  OUCH.

But you shouldn't get that Sync Error message any more.  

Back up your data file first...and good luck.  Let us know how this goes.  
  • Steven
    Steven Member ✭✭
    Wow. I can't re-create budgets, scheduled txactions, custom reports. Too many of all. And no good way to export documentation and details (I can .csv the budgets, but I don't know of an "export doc" function for scheduled txactions and reports). I'll look around.
    OUCH is right. Time to open source Quicken so the right people can look into these problems?
  • vschultz
    vschultz Member ✭✭
    I have exactly the same issue- whether I'm trying to update one account, all accounts, download transactions, reset the cloud, or turn sync on or off, I ALWAYS get the SYNC error message- General error: quicken cannot connect to the servers I have been on the phone twice with tech support, they had me try the same things over and over and got nowhere. I'm afraid try the "nuclear option" recommended by garysmith87 without someone more experienced walking me through it- I can't afford to lose all my data. Help!~
  • BriteSky
    BriteSky Member ✭✭
    Also experiencing this issue suddenly after a Quicken update a few weeks ago. I sync dozens of accounts with different banks and investment firms (and none are USAA). Receive that "General Error" message but all of the transaction sync functionality is working, both with the banks and the Quicken Cloud. I truly believe nothing is wrong with my data file, but simply some odd thing triggering that error message. I don't plan to do anything to resolve it - not worth my time, effort, or risk of damaging my data file. Yes, it's an annoyance, but I'd rather live with it for a while until Quick developers are able to release updates to remove it. I truly don't believe there's any real error at play.

One interesting note: I actually have 2 data files. One of them I've been using for about 2 years - this is the one with the error messages, and it's setup to sync with both banks and Quicken Cloud. The second data file, I've only been using for about 3 months, and I do NOT receive an error message with that one. It syncs with only Quicken Cloud, no banks logins are setup in the file. Very strange.
  • John L4
    John L4 Member ✭✭
    Thank you, I felt sure I was not the only one. Are you using a Mac OS? Mine occurred with one Friday night update and actually got worse after a subsequent one. I now accept it as an annoyance because the moderator's suggestion to contact Support is an investment in time and frustration I do not care to make. Members should not have to go the nuclear option and risk losing years of collective data.

One thing that is working well, sort of, as noticed in my on-line checking, Quicken is about to renew my annual subscription, though I have not received any reminder. It is so tempting to reply to the upbeat progress letters we receive. Yet if I did, I know the reply...contact Support. When someone brings up a persistent problem and goes through some semi-complex recommended fixes, seems logical the moderator would refer the thread to Support, that Quicken would be proactive to want to jump in and help.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    To John L4 and vshultz:

I'm not sure what you want to happen.

You don't want to contact Quicken Support for help.

And you don't want to take my suggestion for the "nuclear option" to fix your corrupted data file.

Your data file was corrupted long ago, but was not exposed and revealed until the latest update.  

I can guarantee you my option WILL work.  No transaction data will be lost.  You will have to recreate your budget(s), saved reports, scheduled transactions, reconnect your banks and you will lose your attachments. Additionally, just make a backup file prior to starting.  If things go awry (they won't), your existing data file will still be available.  And even if you don't make a backup of your data file, your original file will stay intact as the export process just creates a .qxf file.  It doesn't touch your current data file.  

I laid out the "how to" step by step.  I don't think I could have been any clearer or simplistic in the instructions.  it's not rocket science.  

So, may I ask...what solution are you seeking?  Because you refuse to contact support and it looks like you are trying to get a solution that really involves no intervention.  And that's not going to happen, unfortunately.  
  • John L4
    John L4 Member ✭✭
    Thank you garysmith87. Perhaps you missed the vschultz comment above that Tech Support could not fix. Frankly your nuclear method, clear as it seems, is not so easy to some of us and not worth the risk to me. Recall I had already tried Quicken Aja's suggestion, which turned into many hours' effort to get right, and still have the same sync problem. Please understand not everyone has your apparent level of computer comfort and competence, especially as we age. But thank you again for your suggestion. At this point I have given up seeking a solution.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    John...you seem to misunderstand.

There is ZERO risk.  You're literally just creating a .qxf file.  That does absolutely ZERO to your current data file.  It is no different as if you were to export a Quicken Mac report to Excel format.  

Then you import that .qxf file into a brand new Quicken Mac file.

I outlined STEP BY STEP how to do that procedure farther up in the thread. Unless you actually delete your current Quicken Mac data file, there is no way to mess this up.  It's fool proof, it works and you won't get the sync error message.

[Removed - Off Topic]
This discussion has been closed.