Report category selection - Sub-Categories?

jimshu1
jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I have several categories that have sub-categories under them. I've created a few reports with just a sub-category selected, not the parent. However, I'm getting report values that include the parent. I've not noticed this before.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any replies!
Quicken Deluxe for Windows. Latest subscription version. I've been a user for decades.

- Jim S.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You might not be doing anything wrong, the parent category has to be included for no other reason than that is the way the report formats the categories and sub categories (sub categories aren't put on a line by themselves).   What's more the total shown in the parent category should be the total of what is shown in the sub categories selected, not all of the sub categories that might be there.

Here is an example with just Cell Phone and Gas & Electric selected.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    Having been a Quicken user for decades, why don't I remember not just creating reports with subcategories selected? I thought I had done that for years?

Guess I'm getting old...
    Quicken Deluxe for Windows. Latest subscription version. I've been a user for decades.

- Jim S.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    My testing shows that I can report just on a sub-category and the totals adjust accordingly based on which sub-category I select.  See side-by-side below image.  For this test, I used the standard Spending > Itemized Categories report and then deselected everything except for Bills & Utilities.  This is my test file.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @BK What I interpreted the question to be is could you create a report that showed say your Mobile Phone without showing the parent category of Bills & Utilities.  And for that the answer is no.
    Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I figured that was how you interpreted - but I was not sure.  We are on the same page.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW just to be really clear the parent category amount shown is only for the sub categories selected.  Since the parent category isn't selected any amount put directly in that parent category isn't included.
    Signature:
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > BTW just to be really clear the parent category amount shown is only for the sub categories selected.  Since the parent category isn't selected any amount put directly in that parent category isn't included.

Thanks for the reply!

That is exactly what I expected. But, what I have is an entry in the parent category, not in a sub-category, that shows up in a report where I've just selected a sub-category. I've attached some images that I hope clarify this.

- Jim S.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I notice that you are using a different report type based on the filtering options at the top.
    It seems to be a customized transaction report (I was using a Spending by Category).

But even if I try a transaction report I get this:

If I customize it to include Auto, I get this.

I suggest creating a new report from scratch and see how it behaves.
    Signature:
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    I really appreciate all of the help! But, to be honest, I'm really confused. Yes, I can create a new spending report that only shows that sub-category. See attachment 1.

But, I have dozens of other customized reports that only contain sub-categories. See attachment 2.

For literally decades, I've used existing category reports to create new ones. That's how I have the format you see in attachment 2. I can take that report and customize it to just show my Boating fuel category, but it still reflects any entry in the Parent | Recreation category. As I said, I'm confused, but understand that these situations exist. Maybe I have to re-do 50 or more customized reports...

I appreciate all of the replies. Thank you!

- Jim S.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It has been noted many times on this forum that either they make changes in Quicken or the saved reports get corrupted, and as such the saved report acts "strange".  About the only recourse is to recreate the saved report.
    Signature:
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks again! I appreciate the replies.

- Jim S.
This discussion has been closed.