Issues with online balance not matching

I was using R35.31 ver 27.1.35.31 on my PC. My online transactions and online balance with my bank updated and matched just fine every time I did an update. I had to send off my PC for repair so I took my backup on my USB stick and restored it to my laptop. I had to do an update on my laptop to the latest version of Quicken. My online balance did not update on my laptop, I got my PC back from the repair place, restored the backup from my laptop. I did an update, and my online balance showing up on Quicken from my bank is still stuck on the balance from 9/17/21. It did not update to the latest online balance from 10/1 or 2 or 3 or 4 ( today). My other transactions from my bank came across just fine. Is this a bank issue or Quicken issue...but since everything was working fine before I sent my PC off, then it did not while using laptop and returned PC, I am questioning how and why.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The first thing I would try is create a new file and see if you can even add that account there.  That will eliminate any possibilities that there's something about the data file causing problems.

If that's works then you can go back to the original data file and just deactivate online services on that account.  And then use add account to add an account in again this time not linking to the existing account.  If that works then you can move whatever missing transactions there are from the old account to the new account fix the opening balance if needed and then delete those account.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/17263538
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Susan Brasel

Are you using One Step Update when you are seeing the above described behavior?  If so, can you try updating just that one account - where the online bank balance is not changing/updating - by itself?  To do that, open that account's register in Quicken > click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right > select "Update Now" > enter the password (if required) > then click the "Update Now" button.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Susan Brasel
    Susan Brasel Member ✭✭
    I tried both methods this morning, the transactions made over the weekend came up as cleared, so it is communicating with the bank. Online balance still stuck from 9/17/21.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Susan Brasel

Okay - so we need to look further. 

Can you tell me the name of the financial institution as well as the method that you are using to connect (i.e. either - Direct Connect, Express Web Connect, or Web Connect)?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Susan Brasel
    Susan Brasel Member ✭✭
    Express Web Connect to Bank of Oklahoma
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi once again @Susan Brasel

That is what I expected.

So, the "Online Balance" is, as you probably know, a downloaded value.  When you use the Express Web Connect type of connection, that balance (and all related data that is in the download) is downloaded by the Quicken aggregator usually once a day.  In terms of timing, this process happens often/usually sometime during the night.  If the bank hasn't finished its nightly processing at the time the Intuit/Quicken aggregation server views and accesses the bank account, the balance amount may not have and report the correct up-to date balance.  But since the balance in your case is static, I don't think this is causing your issue

However, the balance amount may also be wrong or inaccurate if the financial institution modified or changed their website and/or webpages that contain this data.  The reason for this, is that the Quicken Aggregator obtains the data that eventually appears in your downloads and then in your Quicken accounts by doing a "screen scrape" of the bank/financial institution's website.  If the financial institution modified
    its website and if the Quicken aggregator did not receive notice or is otherwise unaware of those changes, their screen scrape may not collect the most recent data and therefore not update your data appropriately.  Do you know whether your financial institution has made recent modifications to the website that you access for account information?

I think it is likely that this last scenario that is causing your current problem.

Frankx

• I have having the same issue with the online balance and/or reconciling balance. Mine are all stuck at some date in May of this year. It is every institution that I download from. I would think it was something with the institution except for the fact that it's all of them!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @LakeDweller,

So there are a couple of things going on here...

First - the online balance, which is what this thread is about, is quite different from the reconciliation date. So let's put the reconciliation date issue aside for now.

If you are seeing the same behavior that is described above for the online balance of ALL of your connected accounts (and I am assuming here that those accounts are with differing financial institutions and also are differing types of accounts), but all of those accounts are otherwise downloading correctly - then you have a quite different problem.  Offhand, I don't have a suggested solution for that and I would suggest that you either try the Validate process and or Super Validate process.  But, probably the best course of action for you would be to contact Quicken Support for some hands-on assistance.

As far as the reconciliation date goes, that has nothing at all to do with "online balance dates".  The reconciliation date is set by the Quicken program when you complete a reconciliation.  The online balance dates are provided/updated by the financial institution at the time of completion of each successive download process.

Frankx

• Susan Brasel
    Susan Brasel Member ✭✭
    @Frankx I built a new Quicken file and set up my accounts with my bank...the correct online balance came across. I really hate to try that on my real (active) Quicken file...It really would be a pain to do, and I would lose a lot of information if I had to delete the old accounts. I have no idea why balance is not updating correctly. Maybe call support and talk to someone directly? Thanks for your help.
  • Susan Brasel
    Susan Brasel Member ✭✭
    @Frankx I also deactivated, reactivated..no luck. did a reset...got the red circle with the slash and error code 800. Now I cannot reconnect at all to make the red circle with slash go away. I will have to do another file, and restore my last backup before the circle came up. would love to be able to merge the good account from the test file to the bad account from my active file.
  • Susan Brasel
    Susan Brasel Member ✭✭
    I tried to restore my backup from earlier, no luck with getting rid of the red circle. Will have totally rebuild everything from scratch, I think. If anyone has a better idea,I would love to hear it.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Susan Brasel

So the fact that you were able to start a new datafile and that bank account then showed the correct balance indicates that there are issues with your datafile.  And it is hard to tell, with the various deactivate/reactivate processes you've gone through, exactly why you now have that red circle with a slash, but the first thing you need to do is fix the datafile. 

My suggestion would be that you locate a good backup file - one prior to the one(s) that were deactivated/reactivated and one that doesn't show the red circle.  You should then go through the Copying and Validating Your File routine - here's a LINK to the steps. 

Once that is done, you should then try connecting with the bank to see if you can update successfully and also the online balance problem will be rectified.

Frankx

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note that a red circle on an account can indicate that there is a problem connecting to the online account, as in for some reason (maybe an error during the setup process) Quicken thinks it is closed (online).  If you click on that icon and it says to click to fix, then that is an indication that this is what is going on.
    Signature:
  • Susan Brasel
    Susan Brasel Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW, I tried the fix, it did not work. I tried deactivating the file, verifying the file, trying to reconnect to the bank, it did connect to the bank and I clicked on "link to that account". It still did not work. I also tried going back and re connecting to bank and not clicking on link to that account and it built me a new account with a starting balance from today but no past transactions. So how can I start from scratch on this account and leave the other account where I can at least look up my old transactions but not count the balance in my totals? Is there a way to download all those transactions into an Excel file, where I can still have them and just start over..I am beyond frustrated
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The first thing I would try is create a new file and see if you can even add that account there.  That will eliminate any possibilities that there's something about the data file causing problems.

If that's works then you can go back to the original data file and just deactivate online services on that account.  And then use add account to add an account in again this time not linking to the existing account.  If that works then you can move whatever missing transactions there are from the old account to the new account fix the opening balance if needed and then delete those account.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/17263538
    Signature:
  • Susan Brasel
    Susan Brasel Member ✭✭
    I created a new account, and closed the old account. Do not want to delete old account, may need to look up old transactions. Thank you all for your help and recommendations. We will see how this goes and pray that it works.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I created a new account, and closed the old account. Do not want to delete old account, may need to look up old transactions. Thank you all for your help and recommendations. We will see how this goes and pray that it works.
    That's fine what I was talking about would be to consolidate the two accounts by moving any of the transactions that were missing in the original account to the new account.  And once that was done then you could delete the original account.

But it certainly can be done by keeping the original account and just making sure that the overlapping transactions are removed from one or the other accounts so that you don't have duplicates in reporting your expenses and such.
    Signature:
  • Susan Brasel
    Susan Brasel Member ✭✭
    OK, so I built my new account which gave me my balance. I did an update this morning at 11:00 am. Everything that updates with Express Web Connect says it updated yesterday, everything with Direct Connect updated today...Express Web connect does my bank