Automatically creating transfers when downloading

jmbuyske
jmbuyske Member ✭✭✭
Windows 10; Quicken Deluxe R36.17, Build 27.1.36.17
Preference setting: Transfer detection->Scan downloaded transactions for possible transfer=checked, Automatically create transfers when detected=selected.

Scenario: A $300 deposit was downloaded into my checking account and I manually categorized it. A few days later a legitimate $300 charge was downloaded into my credit card account and Quicken automatically assigns a Transfer to Checking category. (Ok, I did tell it to do this in Preferences.) However, that $300 deposit in checking was now missing AND there is no associated Transfer to Credit Card transaction BUT the balance of the checking account still reflected that $300 deposit. If I changed (deleted) the category on the credit card charge, then the balance of the checking account is decreased by $300.

My workaround was to change the Transfer detection to 'Confirm possible transfers before entering in register=selected.' Quicken now asks me if I want to categorize the two transactions as transfers.

If the deposit transaction in the checking account had remained and the category was changed to a transfer, then I would not see a problem. But when the deposit transaction disappears, that seems to be a bug.

Yes, I reinstalled Quicken Deluxe
Yes, I ran both Validate File and Super Validate File
Yes, the exact same scenario occurred on another computer and another QDF file.

UPDATE: Well, I might have spoke too soon. I went back to an older file and did a download with my old preference settings. Now it does show the $300 transfer in checking. Quicken working as advertised. Maybe just gremlins or perhaps my old eyes!

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jmbuyske said:
    Windows 10; Quicken Deluxe R36.17, Build 27.1.36.17
    Preference setting: Transfer detection->Scan downloaded transactions for possible transfer=checked, Automatically create transfers when detected=selected.
    In my opinion this combination of options should never be allowed.
    Quicken is doing a pure guess when it decides to connect two transactions together as a transfer.
    It is simply going on the fact that the two transactions are on about the same date and that one has an deposit for the same amount as another has a withdraw for.

If you have a lot of common amounts downloaded it can and does "make mistakes".  So confirm should always be on.

What's more it sounds like you are encountering another problem where the transfer doesn't even go through.  I'm not sure exactly what would cause that.  That certainly sounds like a bug.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/