How to I connect to TD Ameritrade Institutional. It is not listed as a brokerage.

TheRands46
TheRands46 Member ✭✭
I am trying to set up downloading my updates from TD Ameritrade Institutional. This is where my financial advisor has his portfolios. TD Ameritrade is listed in quicken but the financial institution site is not. Website and passwords are different then normal TD Ameritrade. Quicken will not let you specify site you want to work with if not listed in their list.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @TheRands46

I am assuming that you did not establish this account yourself, and rather the account was established by your "financial advisor" or by his/her firm.  As such, I suggest that you contact your financial adviser to obtain information about how you might connect Quicken to your TD Ameritrade account(s). 

Because a financial advisor is involved, I suspect that if a connection can be made to the account (and I agree that a connection should be able to be made as the account is actually yours) you'll need to work through the financial advisor.  This does not appear to be a Quicken issue to me.

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• TheRands46
    TheRands46 Member ✭✭
    The problem is being able to allowed by Quicken to connect to the TD Ameritrade Institutional website. Site is www.advisorclient.com. If Quicken would allow me to put in the site, then I would be able to download updates. It is not TD Ameritrade not allowing it, but Quicken not having a way to input a website they do not have in their directory.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @TheRands46,

Quicken enters into agreements (i.e. contracts) with certain financial institutions containing all the conditions that permit it to download transactions, balances and other data on behalf of Quicken users.  This does not include ALL financial institutions and actually includes very few financial advisors, including those advisors who may use specific large brokerage firms as their brokers.

While Ameritrade does have a specific website that allows you to access your accounts managed by your advisor, apparently TDA  "Institutional" has not entered into an agreement with Quicken to "connect" such "advisor" accounts to Quicken.  The reasons why not could be numerous, but I suspect it has to do more with the advisors than with TDA, since TDA brokerage has (almost since its inception) always permitted connection to their clients accounts through Quicken.

There still is the possibility that you can download your transactions from the TDA website that can then be imported into Quicken.  I understand that TDA account holders can do this by logging into their TDA accounts, but I do not know if that is also available to those who use brokers.  I suggest that you log in to your account at TDA and search on "Quicken" and or "download" to see if that is a possibility.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• TheRands46
    TheRands46 Member ✭✭
    I was able to find out that if you connect to regular TA Ameritrade but then enter account numbers and pin for the institutional accounts that they then download. However, after they are all downloaded and you try and do updates you get error messages that say accounts were downloaded that are not in quicken!! how can I get them to agree?
  • Hi! Did you ever get this to work? I had great success with WealthScape integration for years. I cannot get mt TD Ameritrade seconds to download correct values for bonds which are in my portfolio.
This discussion has been closed.