Vanishing Transactions

Options
Chuckster
Chuckster Member ✭✭
Since the latest update recent transactions from most or all accounts will disappear when restarting Quicken. Thinking it might be OneDrive related, I moved the qdf file to C:, but it happened again today. File Validation doesn't resolve, though it finds a ton of errors (most look like the same ones from prior validations). Fortunately I've started backing up daily. This is at least the 5th time it's happened. HELP!

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Chuckster

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your data file. I'm wondering what is causing the issues as they sound like they have been fairly consistent. One step we can test here is to see if we create a copy of your file and connect your banks back if we'll experience the same error. You may want to only do a couple of banks to start to see if they still experience a similar issue. I'll leave steps down below on how to create a copy. You'll find it on the fourth step in the article.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Once you get a chance to try these steps, please let us know what you find.  From there we'll better understand our next steps/options.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Chuckster
    Chuckster Member ✭✭
    Options
    There's quite a few years worth of transactions there, not sure an empty file will be able to tell us anything for a while; any other ideas? I backed up the main file earlier this evening - as soon as the backup was complete the entries vanished again. In my checking account at least 23 entries from 10/2/21 to 11/1/21. 2 future dated entries for Jan 2022 remained. (I didn't check any other accounts)

I restored from this mornings backup and deleted a bunch of old accounts on the chance that Quicken data files have size limits - do they?
  • Chuckster
    Chuckster Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ugh, I backed up the file that I just cleaned up. Exact same thing happened again, same checking account entries gone.
  • Chuckster
    Chuckster Member ✭✭
    Options
    Another clue: Added a future entry to checking showing a total of 1532 Transactions and performed a backup. Again the same batch of entries disappeared when the backup completed, but count still showed 1532. Reloading the file shows many blank lines in the register.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Options
    @Chuckster

Thanks for the update. Copying the file is a bit different from creating a new one as this would copy the entire file but break any active download connections and any online billers you may have added.  In any case, if you don't want to set up the downloads again we can try other steps in your main file first. 

Do you know if your file is currently saved on cloud storage? (Dropbox, Google Drive, Etc) If so we can attempt to move the file over to a non synced area of your computer or individually un sync the file. Once it's been moved/unsynced go ahead and attempt to perform an OSU.

Next we this is checking to see if mobile sync may be on. First load a backup of the file. Once you've loaded it let's make sure mobile sync of turned off. You can do this by going across the top to edit > preferences > mobile & web > sync off. Once you've done this try again to perform an OSU.  

Please let us know if you're able to see any changes with the file once you've done this. 

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• Chuckster
    Chuckster Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken data files are stored on non-synched area, backup files on OneDrive.

File backed up & restored, mobile sync deactivated, then OSU performed. That worked successfully (though all recent OSU's have been pulling data previously downloaded - is that related to restoring from backup?).
    Backed up file -still ok.
    Exited & restarted Quicken - transactions gone again :-(
  • Chuckster
    Chuckster Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Restored the file & ran validation against it. That also deleted these entries, but this time it adjusted transaction counts. That seems to indicate that entries since early October are somehow flawed, as they are the ones consistently disappearing. A reload shows them as blank, and a validation removes them...?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Options
    @Chuckster

That is interesting that the validation produced the same result. Let's try copy and validating the file to see if we produce a similar result with the validation. You can do this by going across the top to file > copy or backup file > create a copy or template > Save Copy > Open new copy. From here you can perform the file validation again. 

If we experience the same issue with vanishing transactions I have one more idea and also a couple more if we don't have them vanish. Please let me know how it goes!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What exactly do you see in your log when validation completes? If you see "Damaged data record", your file is corrupted beyond repair.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chuckster
    Chuckster Member ✭✭
    Options
    Done. Not noticing any missing data following validation of the copy, and it produced a LOT less errors. There were no Damaged Data Record/Block entries in this validation; there were 311 entries in an earlier one.
    This looks promising.
This discussion has been closed.