Unable to add Morgan Stanley Accounts - Quicken Crash

This discussion was created from comments split from: Quicken will not establish an account with Morgan Stanley.

Comments

• RobRoten
    RobRoten Member ✭✭
    I am experiencing the same issue as SLKynerdc. I have recently moved all of my accounts to Morgan Stanley and am trying to establish them in Quicken. Going through the "Add Account" sequence, adding login and password information, hit next, and Quicken crashes. I've validated the file, as suggested above, with the attached results. After validation, it still crashes. I'm running Build R35.23. Suggestions?
    Rob
    Quicken user for 20+ years.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RobRoten said:
     I've validated the file, as suggested above, with the attached results. After validation, it still crashes. I'm running Build R35.23. Suggestions?
    "Damaged data record" means your data file is irreparably and permanently corrupted. And your QEL errors look equally dire. There is no way to repair and continue to use this file. This is possibly a result of keeping the file synchronized via OneDrive, which is not recommended exactly for this reason.
    All I can suggest is to go back through your backups and see if you can find one which is not corrupted. If you can not, you will need to start over with a new data file.
    Don't shoot the messenger.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• RobRoten
    RobRoten Member ✭✭
    I've uninstalled, and reinstalled, Quicken. I then opened a fresh file and attempted to add Morgan Stanley to that new file. Exact same result.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    I just tried this in a new file using R35.26. It failed the first time, but succeeded when I clicked "try again". I have found that Morgan Stanley sometimes takes 2 tries to succeed, even with normal daily One Step Updates.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• RobRoten
    RobRoten Member ✭✭
    @ Rocket J Squirrel. Starting with a new test file, I attempted to connect to my Morgan Stanley accounts. It crashed Quicken. Restarted Quicken, tried again. Crashed Quicken. Keep in mind that this was a complete fresh install of Quicken from 5 days ago.

Question... I've seen reference to "enabling" Quicken on the Morgan Stanley website. Then I read that that is out of date. Did you have to do anything on the Morgan Stanley website before you connect?

Morgan Stanley's account page has no global search function. Morgan Stanley's tech support has not responded after 5 days. My financial adviser has not responded.

Thank you for your help!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    @RobRoten I don't know what to tell you. Morgan Stanley works for me and always has. I have never seen it crash Quicken. As I've mentioned before, it sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to succeed at whatever online action you're attempting, and I have no idea why. But it always eventually works for me and never crashes. Sorry I don't have any magic bullet for you.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    @RobRoten did you relocate your new data file outside of OneDrive monitoring? If not, do so and see whether it helps. Make a directory C:\QDATA or similar where nothing but Quicken is reading or writing.

• RobRoten
    RobRoten Member ✭✭
    @""Rocket J Squirrel"

Progress... Starting with a new file, saved to my desktop, I attempted to add the Morgan Stanley accounts but, this time, I told it "simple investing" rather than "complete investing" (with plans to change that later). It attempted to connect and came back with the "Sorry. We've encountered an error. It's not your fault." This is progress simply because it didn't crash Quicken. It appears that the problem may be at Morgan Stanley.

Did you recall if you had to do anything on the Morgan Stanley website to enable the Quicken connection?

Thank you, very much, for your help.

Rob
  • RobRoten
    RobRoten Member ✭✭
    Also, forgot to add that I installed the update that just came through this morning. Now operating R 35.31. I don't know if this had anything to do with it no longer crashing. I didn't see any reference to updates for adding accounts in the release notes.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    RobRoten said:
    Did you recall if you had to do anything on the Morgan Stanley website to enable the Quicken connection?
    There is nothing I can find on the MS site to enable Quicken.
    We discussed this in another thread as well.

• Same problem here. I spoke with Quicken Tech Support--no luck. I called MSSB Tech Support--clueless and no luck.
  • I can find no setting on MSSB, I tried all the troubleshooting I can find. My only choices are: enter username and password then Quicken crashes. Enter account number and password I get we're sorry its not you
  • Here is the error when you use the account number
  • RobRoten
    RobRoten Member ✭✭
    I continue to battle this same issue. I spent a couple of hours with Morgan Stanley Tech support, screen sharing, emailing logs, etc.. Tech support has Quicken and duplicated the issue on their end. The issue went up the chain. They decided it was a Quicken issue and they were to contact Quicken. This was 3 weeks ago, I've followed up, and heard nothing.
    I spent a couple of hours with Quicken tech support today, screen sharing, emailing logs, etc. It went up the chain. They decided that Morgan Stanley was blocking Quicken's servers. Per their suggestion, I've contacted Morgan Stanley again, with the OFX log attached as well as a .pdf of the chat itself.

I've only recently moved to Morgan Stanley. If this keeps up, I will tell Morgan Stanley to get it fixed, no matter whose issue it is or the funds get moved...
  • Just got off a telecon with Morgan Stanley and Quicken Tech Support. Quicken reports this is a known issue with no estimate for resolution
  • RobRoten
    RobRoten Member ✭✭
    I contacted my Financial Adviser and asked for "leverage" with Morgan Stanley Tech Support. They contacted me and I supplied them the logs, as requested, etc. etc.

I received this response yesterday.

"Thank you for providing the requested information. I have escalated to IT with INC42602*** to investigate further. Please note IT escalations pertaining to Quicken can take up to 5-7 business days. I will follow up once they provide me with an update ."

I'm led to believe by Quicken tech support that the "escalation" was what needed to happen.

I will report back in the 5-7 business days.

Rob
  • jeanhalle
    jeanhalle Member
    ROb,
    Sounds familiar, any luck? This is beyond annoying.
  • RobRoten
    RobRoten Member ✭✭
    Jean, yes. Familiar and very annoying. The finger pointing is typical and expected. That being said, I've only been with Morgan Stanley for two months. I wonder how they will react when I threaten to pull the accounts. I'll simply tell them, "I don't give a darn whose problem it is, I just want it fixed. Now. Or else."
  • RobRoten
    RobRoten Member ✭✭
    Morgan Stanley IT support and I have been swapping messages over the last few days. The last message included:

"Quicken support is requesting a copy of your Connlog, and a new OFX log. Please follow the steps below to locate the Connlog, and attach both OFX and Connlog to this email."

I created a fresh "Test file", attempted to add my Morgan Stanley accounts, with the same results and have provided this information.

So... it appears that Morgan Stanley IT support is working directly with Quicken support. Finally!!!

Note that my Quicken was updated to Release R36.23 (from R36.17) prior to the above activity with no observed change with the issue of adding the Morgan Stanley accounts.

Fingers crossed we'll have resolution soon.

Rob
  • RobRoten
    RobRoten Member ✭✭
    RESOLVED!!!
    I received the following from Morgan Stanley IT Support this morning and successfully downloaded all of my accounts!

"Good Morning Mr. Roten,

Our IT department has remediated the data on your account. Please attempt to add your Morgan Stanley account to quicken and provide the OFX& Conn Log's if the issue persist.

Sincerely,
    S*** A."

It appears that the issue was something to do with my account. I've asked if their fix affected all accounts with a similar issue or if each account had to be changed manually, and, if so, what is the correction that should be requested for all experiencing the problem. I'll add a comment if I hear anything back.
  • RobRoten
    RobRoten Member ✭✭
    In response to my question...

"Hello Mr. Roten,

... As far as others experiencing the issue, they would have to give us a call and we would have to troubleshoot their issue for them at that time. The IT team had to remediate the data on your account, so unfortunately it did not fix anyone else's account...."

It is clearly a Morgan Stanley issue. If you are still having problems, I suggest you contact Morgan Stanley IT support, again, reference my case number (51298356) for resolution, and FIX IT. If you still have problems, contact your Financial Adviser and tell them weigh in with IT, as I did with my Financial Adviser. (Fix it or lose the account, lol..)

Good luck!

Rob