Baffled about downloaded transactions; new to Mac from PC

Options
I must be very dense, but now that I've had to move from Quicken PC to Quicken Mac I am baffled about downloaded transactions. Quicken PC would show my unaltered account register and, separately, a list of downloaded transactions, telling me if they matched register transactions or not. Quicken Mac doesn't seem to do this at all. How can I tell when I download transactions what matched and what didn't? How can I see (separately) the transactions that I entered in the register versus the transactions that were downloaded so that I can see if some unexpected transaction came in? If a downloaded transaction is for a scheduled bill, can I go to the scheduled bill, update its amount to that in the downloaded transaction, and then expect that Quicken will know that that bill was paid? Thanks for any pointers.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @maliolani  Welcome to Quicken Mac. There is definitely a learning curve for longtime Quicken Windows users. While you may come up against something that simply can't be done in Quicken Mac, many things can be done but are simply are done differently. Most of us have a knee-jerk reaction to not liking something that's different, but in many cases if you give it some time, you will find that the different approach is neither better nor worse, just different. ;)

In terms of reviewing downloads, I'd like to refer you to read this short thread which has a pretty good explanation of how it works and how to work with it.

There is also a very long thread requesting the Quicken Mac developers to implement functionality similar to Quicken Windows, and discussing the pros and cons of that and whether it's needed. You can read the thread and/or add your vote for it here. We have no idea whether they will do this eventually, but it isn't on the development roadmap as of yet.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @maliolani  Welcome to Quicken Mac. There is definitely a learning curve for longtime Quicken Windows users. While you may come up against something that simply can't be done in Quicken Mac, many things can be done but are simply are done differently. Most of us have a knee-jerk reaction to not liking something that's different, but in many cases if you give it some time, you will find that the different approach is neither better nor worse, just different. ;)

In terms of reviewing downloads, I'd like to refer you to read this short thread which has a pretty good explanation of how it works and how to work with it.

There is also a very long thread requesting the Quicken Mac developers to implement functionality similar to Quicken Windows, and discussing the pros and cons of that and whether it's needed. You can read the thread and/or add your vote for it here. We have no idea whether they will do this eventually, but it isn't on the development roadmap as of yet.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • maliolani
    maliolani Member
    Options
    This was extremely helpful. I'm still not sure about the part of my question related to downloading a transaction that corresponds to a scheduled bill, but for which the amounts differ. Do I update the amount in the current instance of the scheduled bill to make them match, or do I just mark the scheduled bill as paid and accept the downloaded transaction? Thanks.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @maliolani,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

maliolani said:
    This was extremely helpful. I'm still not sure about the part of my question related to downloading a transaction that corresponds to a scheduled bill, but for which the amounts differ. Do I update the amount in the current instance of the scheduled bill to make them match, or do I just mark the scheduled bill as paid and accept the downloaded transaction? Thanks.
    To clarify; is the scheduled bill a manual scheduled transaction/reminder, or is it an eBill (also known as Online Bill in Windows) that you have connected to the biller's servers?

Additionally, being that you are a new Quicken for Mac user, I would also like to inform you that you do have the option to schedule a one-on-one tour with our Quicken 1-2-3 team. 

By doing so, one of our Quicken 1-2-3 team members will contact you via phone at your scheduled appointment time. This team has been specifically trained and put together to assist our new customers in getting familiarized with the program and learn how to utilize it to fit your needs, as well as answer any questions and/or address any concerns you may have.

If this is something that would interest you, then please, click here to select a time slot and schedule your tour! Alternatively, you can also call them directly at your own convenience. The phone number can be found through that same link.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.