Opening two Quicken files - and then Close a File

To compare a current file with a backup from a month ago I opened two files at the same time. I also started a new file to import transactions from the last month in hopes that I could use that to update lost history on a Home Equity Line of Credit (I also posted on this). Now I cannot close the files I don't want to open every time I launch Quicken. How do I close a file but not delete it?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... I opened two files at the same time. ...
    I wasn't aware that, on the same Windows PC, one could have two or more Quicken data files open in Quicken at the same time. How did you do that?
    Normally, when you decide to open another file in Quicken, the currently open data file is closed and the 2nd file is opened.
  • Randy Schmidt
    Randy Schmidt Member ✭✭
    Yes, I can simply open another file and it doesn't close the one I already had open. But I found out that the only way to close the file is to delete (or possibly just move) it, then exit Quicken and restart it.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure you're opening 2 Quicken at the same time and not getting confused with the Recently Opened List that shows under the File command?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you know the first file is still open?   Can you somehow switch between them?   When you open or switch to another file it doesn't specifically say it's closing the current open file but that's what it does.   How are you starting Quicken?  How do you open a file or another file?   Maybe you can post some pictures showing what you do.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I can simply open another file and it doesn't close the one I already had open. But I found out that the only way to close the file is to delete (or possibly just move) it, then exit Quicken and restart it.
    I'm confused, as are others -
    We all don't think that Quicken is actually doing what you think you are seeing...
    How exactly are you "Opening 2 Quicken files" -
    which is very different than just doing .... File --> Open --> and pointing to a Quicken QDF file
    OR - merely clicking on the QDF file -
    OR - merely clicking/selecting one of the "Recently Opened" QDF files from the Quicken list..at the bottom of ... File -->
    Lastly, you don't "Close" a Quicken file like in other programs with a "Save or Close" -
    it just happens... when you exit the Quicken program OR you open a different Quicken QDF file. 
    And if you "delete" a Quicken file - you have just deleted all your data... unless that is not what you implied in your text.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken are you running? Are you running VMWare or something that lets you run two copies of Windows at the same time?

Please post a screenshot of two Quicken files open at the same time. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Randy Schmidt
    Randy Schmidt Member ✭✭
    I don't know what other Quicken users experience. I can switch between two Q data files. I'd prove it if I knew how to attach a jpeg file.
  • Randy Schmidt
    Randy Schmidt Member ✭✭
    On a support call, a Quicken rep had me create a test file, similar to what Ps56k2 showed above. The rep had me close the program, DELETE the file and reopen Q. Then, of course, it didn't show in the available data files. I have a backup file that I can open and see what things looked like a little over a month ago -- before the current problem that I'm experiencing started ("This Loan is Paid Off" applied to a Home Equity Line of Credit).
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what other Quicken users experience. I can switch between two Q data files. I'd prove it if I knew how to attach a jpeg file.
    You can click and drag that jpeg file to the post entry field.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Randy Schmidt
    Randy Schmidt Member ✭✭
    Here it is. It's just like what was posted above.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Here it is. It's just like what was posted above.
    Thanks.  That just shows what the last several file names were that had been opened (in your case, the last 2 file names).  When you boot up Quicken it will default to opening the last file name you had open.  Then when you click on the other file name Quicken will close the file you have open and will then open the one you just clicked on.  Depending on the size of the data files, this alternating between files can occur pretty quickly.  But it is not that the 2 files are open at the same time...Quicken can only have open one file at a time.
    My understanding is that sometimes you want to open the other file instead of the one you last had open.  There are a couple of ways to address this:
    • After the boot up Quicken and the last file is opened, click on the other file name.  Quicken will close that last file and open the other file. 
    • Or you can save shortcuts for your 2 Quicken data files to your Desktop.  Then instead of clicking on the Quicken.exe file or shortcut, double click on the shortcut for the data file you want opened.  That should prompt your computer to use Quicken.exe to open that file instead of the last one you had opened.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)