Report Showing Expense as Income

Options
James114
James114 Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I have a report based on my credit card monthly usage.
It shows a expense as as income.
As you can see in the attached image it's showing the Tracfone payment as income even though it shows the amount is negative.
I only use 1 account in the report (Visa).

Any ideas?
James

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What Category is the Tracfone payment assigned to? If it is an Income category, it will be listed in the Income section of the report.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    It has an unassigned Category unlike the other transactions.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK, if you assign it to an Expense category, it should show up in the Expense section of the report
    QWin Premier subscription
  • James114
    James114 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea that worked. It was a bit confusing. I guess one must categorize transactions for Quicken to
    realize the transaction is income ort debit?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When you establish a Category you denote it as either an income or expense item.  That governs where the Category shows up in a report and affects the sign of the dollar amount show in the report. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    James114 said:
    Yea that worked. It was a bit confusing. I guess one must categorize transactions for Quicken to
    realize the transaction is income ort debit?
    You might think that the sign of a transaction would tell if the transaction is income or expense, but that isn't true.  Imagine you buy a shirt, that is an expense/withdraw.  Now you return it.  That is going to be recorded as a deposit, but it isn't income, it is a negative expense, as in you spent X dollars less on clothing.

Therefore Quicken needs to know the category and that category will tell Quicken if it is an expense or income.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.