How do I link a PNC account to a BBVA account already in Quicken Premier

When following PNC instructions to set up new PNC account in Quicken, I did not see an option to "Link to an Existing Account". I now have a BBVA account and a PNC account on the list. 3 txns were downloaded into the PNC account. PNC acct shows Express Web Connect as connection type. How do I link the PNC to BBVA so I have 2 account I am looking at?

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The easiest way to do what you want:
    1. Back up your data file in case something goes wrong.
    2. In the PNC Account Register:  Delete the Opening Balance transaction.
    3. In your BBVA Account Register:  Left Click on the Opening Balance transaction > scroll down to the last transaction in the register and then Shift key + Left Click on that > right click anywhere on the shaded transactions > left click on Move Transaction(s) > select the PNC Account > OK.
    All of your BBVA transactions will now be moved to your PNC Account Register.  Any transfers you had in your BBVA Account Register will have been updated to show your PNC Account, instead.  You should then check to make sure your PNC Account has the correct balance.
    A couple of comments:
    • Once this process is completed, all of your BBVA transactions will now show up in Quicken reports and tools as PNC transactions.  If this is not acceptable to you, then you should not do the steps above since you will need to keep both PNC and BBVA accounts.
    • If you still want to proceed with merging BBVA into PNC, you might want enter a comment in the General tab of Account Details noting that all transactions on/before 10/8/2021 are BBVA and all transactions after that are PNC transactions.
    • Once you have confirmed that all BBVA transactions have been moved to PNC, you can either hide your BBVA Accounts, keep the BBVA Account as Separate, you can close your BBVA Account or you can delete your BBVA Account.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Sorry, this is a corrrection of my earlier question. I meant to say How do I get the accounts linked so that I only see 1 account with history instead of 2 separate accounts?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    The easiest way to do what you want:
    1. Back up your data file in case something goes wrong.
    2. In the PNC Account Register:  Delete the Opening Balance transaction.
    3. In your BBVA Account Register:  Left Click on the Opening Balance transaction > scroll down to the last transaction in the register and then Shift key + Left Click on that > right click anywhere on the shaded transactions > left click on Move Transaction(s) > select the PNC Account > OK.
    All of your BBVA transactions will now be moved to your PNC Account Register.  Any transfers you had in your BBVA Account Register will have been updated to show your PNC Account, instead.  You should then check to make sure your PNC Account has the correct balance.
    A couple of comments:
    • Once this process is completed, all of your BBVA transactions will now show up in Quicken reports and tools as PNC transactions.  If this is not acceptable to you, then you should not do the steps above since you will need to keep both PNC and BBVA accounts.
    • If you still want to proceed with merging BBVA into PNC, you might want enter a comment in the General tab of Account Details noting that all transactions on/before 10/8/2021 are BBVA and all transactions after that are PNC transactions.
    • Once you have confirmed that all BBVA transactions have been moved to PNC, you can either hide your BBVA Accounts, keep the BBVA Account as Separate, you can close your BBVA Account or you can delete your BBVA Account.

• Thank you for the workaround. As of Oct 20th, PNC says that they and Quicken are working the problem of linking accounts and Express Connect vs Direct Connect.
  • Boatnmaniac
    You are welcome.  As of today I and at least 4 others that I know of have been somewhat successful in setting up DC for PNC.  I say "somewhat" because the online balance in the registers is now correct and PNC downloaded transactions...but the downloaded transactions are only from the last day or two.  All other transactions that had posted at PNC between 10/12 and 10/18 are not downloading.  But at least the account balances are right. 
    What some of us have done is to keep DC, hope for the best and then manually enter any missing transactions.  I am not confident that PNC will ever download them.
    What others are doing is to keep their EWC connections for now with the plan to upgrade to DC once all the dust settles.  This is, I think, the safer route to go but it also means that if they need to schedule bill pays and/or transfers between account they will need to login to the online accounts and do them there.

• coolbranch
    coolbranch Member ✭✭✭
    Quote from above: "PNC downloaded transactions...but the downloaded transactions are only from the last day or two. All other transactions that had posted at PNC between 10/12 and 10/18 are not downloading. But at least the account balances are right."

Above is true, which brings to mind this. Do we have to update Q everyday? If I wait a few days to update Q, will all the transactions since last Quicken update load or just the last night?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Quote from above: "PNC downloaded transactions...but the downloaded transactions are only from the last day or two. All other transactions that had posted at PNC between 10/12 and 10/18 are not downloading. But at least the account balances are right."

Above is true, which brings to mind this. Do we have to update Q everyday? If I wait a few days to update Q, will all the transactions since last Quicken update load or just the last night?
    1st Question - "Do we have to update Q everyday?":  We don't have to update the Community if we don't want to.  This Community is where many people get status updates on issues.  If you think an update will be helpful to others and if you are so inclined to do so, continue to post them here.
    2nd Question - "If I wait a few days to update Q, will all the transactions since last Quicken update load or just the last night?":  No one can answer this question.  We know the issues encountered are owned by PNC and PNC is working on fixing them.  But we won't see PNC making a public announcement about when the issues are resolved nor what the limitations of the fix(es) will be.  One day it will just become apparent that DC is no longer a problem.
    Regarding downloading of missing downloaded transactions for 10/12-10/18:  I will be surprised if we ever get those transactions to download via DC.  I suggest manually entering/reconciling them or logging into your online account and manually downloading/importing the transactions in QFX format.