JP Morgan Brokerage Account

Options
I'm not able to download transactions from my JP Morgan Brokerage account. When I go to set it up in quicken, i select either JP Morgan Investments - New or Chase Investments - New. They both seem to work. I enter my credentials, and I know they are valid/working because i then get a "secure messsage" in my online JP Morgan account asking me to click a link to enable quick access. Quicken then takes me to a dialog box saying "try again". I click the validation link in my secure messages on the jpm web site, and it seems to work fine. Then I go back to quicken to re-try the login, and it seems to work, the screen flashes/refreshes, and then quicken returns me to my account list without doing anything. No error message. No account added. Nothing. I try it over and over again, and it just does nothing each time. Any idea how I get this to work properly?

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @jeremyl,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you don't mind, I'd like to start off by having you create a new (test) file to see if you experience the same issue in a new file as well. In doing so, we will be able to determine if this is caused by an issue within your data file or a potential bug within the Quicken program.

Follow the steps below to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    2. Select New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to easily be able to tell it apart from your main file. Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for WindowsDon't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.
    5. Sign in with your Quicken ID (if prompted). If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 
    6. Select to not use Mobile (if prompted).
    7. Click Add Account to try adding the account you were unable to add in your original file.

Once that is done, see if you are experiencing the same problem in this test file. From there, you can then switch back to your original file. 

Follow the steps below to switch files:

1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jeremyl
    jeremyl Member ✭✭
    Options
    I created a brand new quicken file, tried to create a new JP Morgan Investments - New account and got the exact same behavior. Didn't work. Accepted my credentials. Triggered a "secure message" in my account accessible via the web at chase.com. I retrieved the secure message and clicked the link to authorize. Then went back to quicken and hit "try again". The credentials worked, and then nothing happened. I was returned to the empty new quicken file with no new accounts added and no error message.

Separately, the JP Morgan team suggested I set up a Direct Connect online account type. I did that and it worked with all of my accounts showing up, but Quicken recognizes my brokerage account as a bank account (only lets me choose savings or checking for each of the accounts it recognizes) and therefore doesn't download any securities transactions. It only shows cash balance transactions which makes Direct Connect to my brokerage account useless!

Any idea what I should try next?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The first procedure is the "right one", the second one sounds like you somehow got connected to the banking side, instead of the investment, which as you noted would be totally wrong.

And given what you have said about both, leads me to believe that Chase has somehow "coded/connected up" your accounts wrong.

If I come into my accounts using "Chase" and Direct Connect (which I believe is the default anyways) here is what I'm presented:

You will notice there aren't any investment accounts presented.  Since your investment account(s) presented here that tells me they have them connected as if they are banking accounts (and not as investment accounts so that when Quicken goes through the investment side it finds no accounts and therefore does nothing).

Here is what happens if I go through using "Chase Investments - New":
    First off you will notice right away that you don't get a choice on if it is Direct Connect or Express Web Connect because for investment accounts it has to be Direct connect, instead you get this dialog:

Then the normal user log in and so forth.

I think what is needed is for you and have them look at the OFX log which has the communications between Quicken and Chase.  The log from the new data file would probably be best since it would have only the Chase information in it and would be clouding the issue with logs from other financial institutions.  Help -> Log Files -> OFX Log.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jeremyl
    jeremyl Member ✭✭
    Options
    This makes sense to me. Do you have any tips as to what instruction I should give to the folks at JPM/Chase that will help them correct the problem (namely, to 'reclassify' my investment accounts on their end as *investment* rather than banking accounts)?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jeremyl said:
    This makes sense to me. Do you have any tips as to what instruction I should give to the folks at JPM/Chase that will help them correct the problem (namely, to 'reclassify' my investment accounts on their end as *investment* rather than banking accounts)?
    Since this the very first time I have ever heard of them classifying them incorrectly I really don't have any tips on how one might convince them they need to change this or the "how"....

Maybe @Quicken Anja or @Quicken Sarah have some suggestions.  I guess you need to get in touch with someone that understands "Quicken" and maybe send them your OFX log (Help -> Log Files -> OFX Log).
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One thing that occurred to me is the maybe if you can export a Web Connect/QFX file and link it to an account that it might connect as an investment account, and then you can "improve the connection type" in the Account Details -> Online Services tab.  But that is a real long shot.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.