Why do I get "You have exceeded the maximum number of datasets" error?

GrandmaJo
GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
Even though I am not trying to create a dataset, every time I open Quicken, I get the error that I have exceeded the maximum number of datasets" error. My subscription has expired, but because I never used it to download information or work online, I saw no reason to renew with it's ridiculously expensive subscription. Why would I get the error due to just opening the file? If they had a much reduced fee to renew but only get updates and not download, I might consider that option. Is there a way to get this error to go away? Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only Quicken Customer Care can fix the problem. You probably restored too many backups. You can get a better price for Quicken by shopping 3rd party retailers.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @GrandmaJo did this issue start after your subscription was already expired? 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was after my subscription expired, but over a month later, not immediately.
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I started with this problem last October. I was told by support that "I" did something wrong, and that it wasn't a Quicken problem! Good luck!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Per @Quicken Sarah, "Yes, an affected User, even if they are using a non-supported version of Quicken should be able to contact Support for assistance with resolving the dataset exceeded error."
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    I contacted support today and they told me they were unable to fix this error. The only way it would go away, they said, was to renew my subscription. Also said everyone gets this error, though mine didn't start for almost a month after expiration. Then they suggested reinstalling with the last version before the expiration date, but I was unable to download the patch file to do this because windows thinks it is an unsafe file and changes it's name. If I go back to my last version before updating to the subscription version (2017) will I lose many functions? (In addition, Quicken is behind on listing the patch files, with the last being the February update, well before my expiration in May.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken 2017 isn't a subscription version.  Quicken Subscription starts in 2018.  Quicken 2017 can read your Quicken Subscription data file, and given that you aren't using any online services it is pretty much the same.

But I will say this right off the bat, this might not get you out of the the "you have exceeded the ...." warning.  Others have reported getting the same warning in Quicken 2017.  Because this problem seems to stem from the Quicken Id/Quicken cloud data set.  And that means that any Quicken version that requires a Quicken ID (from Quicken 2014 onward) could potentially have this problem.  It is hard to tell what is synced to the Quicken cloud data set other than noticing they are syncing more and more to it even if a person isn't using any of the online services.  My guess would be that this problem goes back to at least 2016.

And might add that I believe that the "they can't fix it" is nothing more than the refusal take any action for an unsupported version, not that it can't be done.

I also want to state as far as I know this is a "warning" not an "error".  As in if you select OK or Cancel enough it will go on.  At least that is what was reported to me from a person using Quicken 2017.

If you do go back to Quicken 2017 be sure to get the latest patch from here:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2017-patches.html
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    One alternate path would be to renew your subscription, have support fix the issue on the supported version, then explore the 30 day unconditional return policy. 

• GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the lengthy and helpful reply. Yes, I am able to continue to use Quicken after clicking off all the warnings. Perhaps I will have to learn to live with that. I also tried turning off the internet before opening Quicken and I think that worked to eliminate the warning. But that is almost as much trouble as clicking off the warning box.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    To mshiggens: I think the problem would only return once I was running the program without a subscription. The agent said his occurs with to everyone who drops their subscription. It is an intended problem.
  • mshiggins
    GrandmaJo said:
    To mshiggens: I think the problem would only return once I was running the program without a subscription. The agent said his occurs with to everyone who drops their subscription. It is an intended problem.
    I don't believe that all expired subscription versions are getting the too many data sets message. If that were the case, this forum would be flooded with complaints about the issue. And although there are quite a few complaints about too many data sets here, most seem to be from users with current subscriptions. 

• Greg_the_Geek
    Per @Quicken Sarah, "Yes, an affected User, even if they are using a non-supported version of Quicken should be able to contact Support for assistance with resolving the dataset exceeded error."
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    You could be correct, but the agent I talked to said he could not remove the message and he checked with several other levels before giving me that message.
  • mshiggins
    edited June 2021
    Per @Quicken Sarah, "Yes, an affected User, even if they are using a non-supported version of Quicken should be able to contact Support for assistance with resolving the dataset exceeded error."
    Perhaps @Quicken Sarah can follow up with the support team why they were unable to help @GrandmaJo ?

• Greg_the_Geek
    I asked @Quicken Sarah to look into it but have not heard back from her.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    I found a little utility that quickly and easily turns off the internet. No more pop up warnings about my data set limit. Close Quicken and turn the internet back on. That pretty much proves the error is coming from Quicken's side, not something that I did wrong with my file.
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Oldngrmpy1 is proud of you GrandmaJo! I feel better too, as I was accused of the same thing last October when I was told the same thing by support! I knew better, but who am I but just the customer paying their salaries including the CEO, who has been vacant from Quicken's messages to us that we used to get. If this company were IPO, they'd be gone! Quit frankly, I could go back to my paper check book register with a whole lot less wasted time and brain damage and probably will when my subscription expires. Thank you again!
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @GrandmaJo

My name is Sarah and I am the Senior Moderator here in the Quicken Community.  I appreciate your sharing the details of your experience with Support, however I apologize that this issue was unresolved.

I took the liberty of reviewing the case notes and chat transcripts for each of the interactions with Support and would like to clarify that the "Exceeded the maximum number of datasets" error is not an intentional message when a Users subscription has expired. 

I apologize that this misinformation was provided to you and I have forwarded the interaction details to our Senior Leadership staff for review and follow-up with the Agent as appropriate.

I further took the liberty of reviewing your internal account information and see that our system is creating the message because internally it thinks you are trying to create a data file.  However, based off the information you've provided so far, it doesn't seem like that is what you are actually trying to do.

Am I understanding correctly that you have two already existing data files that open and work with in Quicken?

If so, may I ask, how you open those files?  Do you select the file from the list at the bottom of the Quicken File menu?

Or are you perhaps clicking on an icon in your desktop view to open each file?

Please let me know, thank you.

Sarah
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    I first open my main data file from the Quicken icon. I then open a very small file that I use to track an investment that I no longer have to compare it to the investments in my main file from the list on the file menu. I go back to my main file from the list before closing quicken so that my main file opens when I start Quicken. I don’t always open the small file, just occasionally, I also have a desktop that I occasionally update by restoring a backup from my laptop. I am not trying to start a new file. Both these files do work once I click off all the warning messages.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    I’m also finding that my desktop (not my laptop) still tries to go online to do an update even though it knows I cannot do this, I then have another warning message to click off. I can’t seem to turn this off.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    @GrandmaJo, I would suggest that instead of using backup/restore to move your Quicken data file, simply copy the file from one computer to another. You can also change the extension of the Quicken backup file from .QDF-backup to .QDF and open it in Quicken.
  • I have similar problem--too many data sets message I thought were caused by having saved my file with changing extensions for the dates. Using Quicken 17 on a laptop with screen not showing a button to use to get off the page saying too many data sets.. Will try calling in later for help.
  • dma05
    dma05 Member
    I called Quicken today about this problem...it is solely related to the fact that your subscription has expired. My subscription expired 2 years ago (I do not like to use any of the online functions) and I prefer to just use it manually and back-up my data to my computer - the error just started appearing today. With that said, they could eliminate the error, but won't because it is just another gimmick to annoy/force you to sign up for another year of service. The error falls right in line with that yellow bar at the top of your screen and banner on the right side of screen that tells you your subscription is expired. I called Quicken several years ago when the Banner appeared in both places, and they just said "renew your subscription and it will go away". I've been using Quicken for almost 25yrs, and I like the software, but these errors I caulk up to "psychological warfare" plain and simple.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    They are supposed to fix the data set error, and after a great deal of effort, I finally had a Quicken senior rep intervene and fix this problem. I think she had to delete some online information stored at Quicken She said she would make aware to the support agents that they can fix this error even without a current subscription, but apparently not everyone has gotten the message. Good luck. The banner, however, will not go away and I’ve learned to live with it.
    4858 Member
    This “exceeded number Of datasets” warning just started happening to me yesterday. I don’t use Quicken for any online activity. I use QW 2017 and have since it was released with no issues. I spoke with support today and was told they couldn’t fix it and I’d have to buy a new version. Very disappointed with Quicken for doing this.
This discussion has been closed.