Quicken will not reopen on my MacBook Pro 2020 (Intel)

jdbmd1975
jdbmd1975 Member ✭✭
Quicken for Mac runs well on Monterey on my 2017 iMac. Quicken does not run on my 2020 Intel MacBook Pro. I called tech support and we got it to launch after deleting the plist in Library/Preferences. I can only get it to open one time after deleting the plist and then the same old same old. So I was running Big Sur for this and upgraded to Monterey on the MacBook. One launch only for each time I delete the plist. That is getting old. What do I do to make it run as well as it does on my iMac?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Can you try running it from another user account and see if it happens there?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jdbmd1975
    jdbmd1975 Member ✭✭
    I logged out and used my wife's account. The data file opens normally with the very first launch of Quicken. I closed Quicken and relaunched Quicken. Same deal. A Quicken menu bar across the top but a spinning beach ball when I move the mouse pointer on to any item in the Quicken menu bar. Nothing to do but force quit as a data file never opens.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Where is the data file located? In the default location in your User/Library folder, or somewhere else? Storing a file on Dropbox or iCloud can cause a variety of unexpected problems. 

What happens if you create a new data file temporarily? Launch Quicken holding down the Shift key, and create a new file. Enter a transaction or two. Quit and relaunch. Same problem or not?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jdbmd1975
    jdbmd1975 Member ✭✭
    THe file I am using is stored on the desktop.

The new file I created per above with two transactions was created. I then closed Quicken. On relaunch I see an open Quicken app in the dock and the same spinning beachball when I hover over anything in the Quicken menu items at the top of the window. The newly created file should load but does not.
  • jdbmd1975
    jdbmd1975 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    I should mention that I uninstalled Quicken, emptied the trash, deleted the plist in the library, emptied trash, restarted the Mac, reinstalled Quicken to make the new file from "scratch."
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Do you have iCloud Drive enabled to sync your Desktop folder to iCloud?

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2021
    One more question about the file location: can you check to make sure you don't have iCloud Drive storing your Desktop and Documents folder? (In System Preferences > AppleID > iCloud, if iCloud Drive is checked, see if Desktop & Documents are set to store on iCloud.)

One more test. Hold down the Shift key when you click on the application icon to launch Quicken. You should get a dialog box asking if you want to open the last-opened file. Click Cancel. This should take you to the Let's Get Started screen. Now click the Open Quicken File and select your data file in the Open File dialog box. Anything different happen? Or does it still freeze? 

If not, to review...
    You are unable to get Quicken Mac to launch more than one time without it freezing upon launch.
    The problem persists using a new data file.
    The problem persists after reinstalling Quicken Mac.
    The problem persists after deleting the plist file.
    The problem persists when trying any of the above in a separate User account on the same Mac. 

There have not been widespread reports here of any problems with Quicken Mac running on Monterey and/or M1 Macs. That makes me think there's something in your Mac's environment causing the problem. I'm just stumped about what else it could be. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jdbmd1975
    jdbmd1975 Member ✭✭
    What I surprise. Since my previous comment, the beachball went away and the new "scratch" file opened intact. So I closed that file and opened my current data file and everything worked fine. Closed, reopened, set backup rules, closed. And it still reopens and the backups are going where directed.

ALL IS FINE. THANKS FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS. What it did in the minutes or hours that the beach ball was spinning I do not know.
  • Ponpon
    Ponpon Member
    Well mine doesn’t work. Just will not open
  • Ponpon
    Ponpon Member
    So as Jacob says “I am Stomped”
This discussion has been closed.