Found Quicken app in the trash. Normal?

wendy143
wendy143 Member
I am running 6.4.4 and just noticed that the app Quicken 6.4.2 is in the Trash. Is this normal?

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Yes, that's where previous versions of the app get put when you do an update. Good thing to know in case you ever need to revert. Also good to know: a backup of your data file is automatically made (in addition to any regular backups you may have) whenever the app it updated. It is labeled with "...(pre-update)" in the backup folder.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Maybe? If you upgrade the app it has to delete the old one, so I wouldn't be surprised to find it in the Trash. I hadn't noticed that myself, but I don't typically look at what's in the Trash before emptying it.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Yes, that's where previous versions of the app get put when you do an update. Good thing to know in case you ever need to revert. Also good to know: a backup of your data file is automatically made (in addition to any regular backups you may have) whenever the app it updated. It is labeled with "...(pre-update)" in the backup folder.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • wendy143
    wendy143 Member
    Thank you for the quick reply. I wanted to be sure I hadn't dragged it there by mistake. I never realized that updates fully replaced apps.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2021
    I think fully replacing the old app is the way things are generally done now. Partial replacements are finicky - you can send a smaller update that way but it depends on knowing exactly which version you're updating from, which means they have to assemble a bunch of different update files for all the various old versions people might want to update. When people were using dial-up modems to get online it was worth the extra effort to minimize download sizes; nowadays it isn't. Some games (MMOs for instance) still appear to do updates this way, but they're the only programs I can think of that do.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken Mac has worked this way since the modern version was launched in 2014 -- it always downloads an entirely new version of the application and puts the old one in the trash. As noted above, it's both safe and provides an escape if you need to go back to the previous version.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.