Not Downloading for Fidelity and Vanguard

I currently subscribe to Quicken Deluxe (Windows). I have not used it for over a year but have an active subscription. Version R36.38. Build 27.1.36.38

Previously I had set up and downloaded information for Vanguard and Fidelity (mostly held in IRAs).

I decided to work with Quicken again. When I went to update my data it would not update for Fidelity or Vanguard and said my password must be wrong. My passwords to both of them were not wrong as I could log into their website.

I deactivated Online Setup. Then reactivated it and set it up automatically do transactions.

For Vanguard (several accounts) I get a message that the download was successful. However, nothing is actually downloaded. I still show the same balance on the accounts from 2020 with no transactions.

For Fidelity, I get an error. The window flashes and says there was an error (no number is given) and then the whole window goes away. There is no error code.

Not sure what to do here. Should I just delete my entire data file and start over? Should I delete those investment accounts and just redo them from scratch? But there are transactions from those IRA accounts where I transferred money to my bank account that are existing so not sure deleted those investment accounts is a good idea.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Koshkaboo,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you save a backup of your data file first (just in case). Then, please follow the instructions provided below.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

Also, please note that since you haven't used Quicken in a year, it is possible that it may not download all of your account history for the past year as 30 to 90 days is the standard timeframe that most financial institutions will release. However, this timeframe does vary depending on the financial institution.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Koshkaboo
    Koshkaboo Member ✭✭
    I think I did this before but I decided to do it again. I did the above. I think ran the update for those accounts. I got a separate dialog box One Step Update Progress. Under the accounts I was updating - Fidelity, Vanguard and my bank it said complete for Fidelity and Vanguard. It said Processing Data for my bank (I've had no problem downloading transactions for it).

Anyway, I look away from the program for 30 seconds or so and looked back and the program had crashed and the dialog box said Not Responding. Restarted Quicken and my checking account transactions had been updated.

However, neither Fidelity nor Vanguard have any new transactions in them. Both Fidelity and Vanguard say on them that they were last downloaded today. However, there are no new transctions and the balances remain the old balances from 2020. They are set up to accept downloaded transactions.

What now? It says they downloaded but nothing was downloaded. This is what happens every time.

Should I delete the specific accounts and start them over? One worry about that is not getting all my old transactions. But, if that will solve this I guess I will do it.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Thanks for following up and providing additional information.

Keep an eye out to see if the crash reoccurs during future One Step Update attempts or if this was a one-time occurrence.

You can try deactivating the Fidelity and Vanguard accounts and then reactivating through Add Account (not Set Up Now) to see if that will help. If you would like to try that; then, please follow the steps found in this support article to deactivate. Once deactivated, to reactivate through Add Account, navigate to Tools > Add Account..., search for your Financial Institution name and follow the prompts to connect. Once your account(s) have been found, be sure to link them to the existing account(s) you have already set up in Quicken.

In regard to starting them over, you can do this without removing the original accounts to preserve the history. You could deactivate the accounts, then go through Add Account as previously instructed above, except that you will add the account as new accounts to Quicken instead of linking them to the existing accounts. If you decide to take his route, you can also hide the original accounts so you still have access to them if needed in the future.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Koshkaboo
    Koshkaboo Member ✭✭
    I have already deactivated the accounts and reactivated them previously. I will, however, try it again in case it makes a difference. I will report back.

I really don't want to set up a new account if I don't absolutely have to.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One thing to keep in mind, these days you can copy investment transactions between accounts.  So if creating a new account works, you can transfer any missing transactions from the old account to the new on to fill in the gap.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Koshkaboo
    Koshkaboo Member ✭✭
    Thanks Chris_QPW. That is helpful and I may need to do that.

Quicken Anja - When I went to the instructions I realized that I had been there before and previously followed them to deactivate the accounts and then reactivated them. Nonetheless, I decided to do it again.

However, I quickly ran into a problem with the Fidelity account. I clicked on Deactivate and it seemed to start doing it. Then the dialog box stopped responding. Now it says the account is set up for transaction download and Deactivate was grayed out. It was not grayed out before. Then the program screen turned black. At that point all I can do is close the program.

When I start it up again, the same process repeats. I go to the Fidelity account and I once again have the option to Deactivate. I choose that and then it hangs up and stops responding as described above. I have tried this several times.

So I went to one of my Vanguard accounts to see what happens with it. It is again one of the accounts that I previously deactivated and then reactivated. It does the same thing as the Fidelity account when I try to deactivate it.

Obviously there is something seriously wrong. Is the best thing just to set up the accounts again? If I do, is it safe to copy the existing transactions over from the old accounts?
  • Koshkaboo
    Koshkaboo Member ✭✭
    I went back in and tried this all again and was able to deactivate the accounts. I still couldn't update them. I Deactivated them and then created new accounts. I hid the other accounts and put them as separate but didn't like how those amounts showed up. I tried to close them but they wanted me to get rid of the securities in them. So I did leave them as separate.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You might look into "Move Transactions" if you really want to get those transactions into the other register.  Select the gear icon menu.  Be sure to have a good backup before trying it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.