Unable to connect to Discover

I've been getting the CC-501 error for Discover Bank for 4 days. I have deactivated the online service and set it up again but it still is not working

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    With Discover Card, you want to setup the download as Direct Connect versus the Express Web Connect that you have.
    First, use Discover Card, not Discover Card Account Services as the financial institution.
    Secondly, use the Advanced Options so that you can select Direct Connect.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• KOG
    KOG Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I've used web express for years and it's only now causing a problem. Can you tell me how to get to advanced options? It's not obvious. When I deactivate online services and try to reactivate, it remembers my previous options.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    KOG said:
    Thank you. I've used web express for years and it's only now causing a problem. Can you tell me how to get to advanced options? It's not obvious. When I deactivate online services and try to reactivate, it remembers my previous options.

The image above, provided by @splasher, explains it all. Look for the red arrows.
    Use the Tools / Add Account process instead of Edit Account Details / Activate.
  • Jason C3
    Jason C3 Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Having an issue adding Discover Card to Mobile & Web, getting Error CC-581. It was able to sync is September. I have done a reset and even deleted the Cloud File. I have also deactivated and added the account multiple times with no results. 
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Jason C3, 

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. For this particular instance, I would recommend attempting a test file.

To do this select File >New Quicken File. When prompted type in "test" for the file name and save it to your local hard drive. Once the test file has been created add the Discover account only

When you have a moment please attempt the steps above and let us know the results of the test file. Please be specific if you come across an error code or message!

-Quicken Paloma 
  • Aiden13
    Aiden13 Member ✭✭
    When I go thru this process add accounts, I type in Discover at the top the I select Discover Card from the left pane, I select Advanced Options from the rights pane, goes to another popup window I select Direct Connect, next popup window I select Bank Accounts, next popup window I add my User Name and Password but on the next popup window is We Found the Following Accounts this has my current Discover Card Info, but under Action it says "Don't add to Quicken" with no option to change this setting so when I select Next, the popup window disappears and then nothing??
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aiden13 said:
    When I go thru this process add accounts, I type in Discover at the top the I select Discover Card from the left pane, I select Advanced Options from the rights pane, goes to another popup window I select Direct Connect, next popup window I select Bank Accounts, next popup window I add my User Name and Password but on the next popup window is We Found the Following Accounts this has my current Discover Card Info, but under Action it says "Don't add to Quicken" with no option to change this setting so when I select Next, the popup window disappears and then nothing??
    AFAIK, "Don't add to Quicken" seems to indicate that Quicken thinks your credit card account is already activated for downloading. You need to deactivate the account first, then run Add Account again.

• Aiden13
    Aiden13 Member ✭✭
    AFAIK???
    in the Add/Edit Account, under online services tab it shows "Set Up Now"
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aiden13 said:
    AFAIK???
    in the Add/Edit Account, under online services tab it shows "Set Up Now"
    In that case, before I ask you contact  Quicken Support please try this: Validate and supervalidate your Quicken data file

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

This might fix hanging connection settings and allow you to connect your account again.
    Is it possible that there's another Discover register in your data file, an old, long closed and hidden account that's still connected and causing trouble?
  • Aiden13
    Aiden13 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the help, but I found the problem. Somehow Quicken added another Discover Card account with the name Credit Card XXX1234??? This account does get download information into the account, strange. So I deleted the original account

BUT, I am unable to setup a payment to Discover Card. The Add "Online Bill" will not Link up. I get the message "Biller Added. Waiting for latest update", but I can never get it linked. I tried entering the bill manually then linking it to my account but the Credit Card XXX1234 is not showing up in the "Select a Bill to link with"

How can I tell when I add online bill if the Bill Pay is linking with my account Credit Card XXX1234, how does bill pay know that I need Direct Connect to be able to communicate with Discover?

Thanks again
    TimN
  • ThaiJack
    ThaiJack Member
    Thanks TimN, I had the same problem also with my Discover card and I had not noticed that Quicken had created another Discover account but with messed up account numbers. I was able to deactivate the bad account and then did another update and things seem to be operating properly again.
This discussion has been closed.