How often should Quicken Windows ask for my Quicken ID password?

Options
Quicken Deluxe Windows 36.38, Windows 10 Home.

About a couple of months ago, I had to re-install Quicken on my virtual machine.

Since then, the frequency of Quicken asking for my Quicken ID password has increased in frequency.  It's not every time, but certainly every couple of weeks now.  

There is a long time before I'm even able to get the box to appear to enter the password (probably at least 10 seconds or more).

I've logged out of my Quicken account and logged back in, as others have recommended...but this continues.  It's more an annoyance than anything else at this time.  But I don't remember Quicken ever asking me for my Quicken ID password previously...certainly no more than once every six months or even longer.

Anything I'm missing here?  Anyone with any suggestions outside of log off and log back in?

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Same here.  Random but frequent (seems like at least once a week) asking for password and the 10 second or so blank screen before the password dialog finally shows up.  Same behavior for months through various updates.

Had to sign in at least 3 times this week alone.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Deluxe Windows 36.38, Windows 10 Home.

About a couple of months ago, I had to re-install Quicken on my virtual machine.
    If you're running Quicken Windows on a Mac or UNIX-type machine in a VM, have you assigned enough RAM for Windows to perform properly? Every new version of Windows requires more RAM. I suggest a minimum of 8 GB RAM for Windows 8 or 10, perhaps even more for Windows 11.
    I'm guessing, but Paging delays due to RAM shortage may cause IP packets to get lost while Quicken is starting up and calling home to check your credentials.

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    UKR said:
    If you're running Quicken Windows on a Mac or UNIX-type machine in a VM, have you assigned enough RAM for Windows to perform properly? Every new version of Windows requires more RAM. I suggest a minimum of 8 GB RAM for Windows 8 or 10, perhaps even more for Windows 11.
    I'm guessing, but Paging delays due to RAM shortage may cause IP packets to get lost while Quicken is starting up and calling home to check your credentials.

I'm in a virtual machine also (Parallels Desktop with Win 10 Pro 64) with 4 GB allocated to the VM.  When Quicken is running, 72% of memory is in use including all system, swap file etc.  No other internet issues in the VM and QuickBooks Desktop, a far larger program, runs fine, too.

Quicken's system requirements list a 1 GB memory minimum in any case.  (Which is weird, since Quicken and Windows cannot actually run with only that much memory without continual swapping.) ...

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-system-requirements

The most consistent request for me to log in once again to my Quicken account is when I open a different data file.  I maintain two separate data files, one for my family and one for my sister's.   More often than not (but not always) switching files prompts me for my password.  In the 'old' days, before subscription, this never happend of course... and you had no limit on the number of files you could open with Quicken as part of the license.  So, maybe this is some new licensing issue?

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am using Quicken Windows 36.38 in a Windows 10 virtual machine using VMWare Fusion v12.2.0 (the latest version).  Still running Big Sur on MacBook Pro.

I have 64 GB allocated to my virtual disk...which should be plenty.  I also have it set for 2 processor cores...which I think is correct.

This was a converted file from a Parallels .pvm file many months ago.  I got tired of paying for the annual Parallels subscription to run ONE piece of Windows software.  

I guess you get what you pay for.  Fusion is super confusing, the Unity mode is awful and not automatic compared to Parallels Convergence mode and I have to Suspend the Windows virtual machine when I'm not using it.  I could leave Parallels open forever with no issues.  But, free is free...and that's what you get.  

I got a message from Microsoft that my Windows 10 can't be upgraded to Windows 11 due to hardware restrictions on my four year old MacBook Pro.  Maybe...just maybe...I'll use the Parallels "purchase" option rather than the annual subscription option, since I can't upgrade past Windows 10 anyways.  

In contrast to MontanaKarl, I only have one Quicken data file...so I'm not switching between Quicken files.  

As I said, this doesn't happen that often for me, but certainly more often than it used to.  

I contacted support.  They were little help, as usual.  Same old, same old...log out of Quicken and log back in, validate and super-validate the file.  Let us know if this happens again.  Blah, blah, blah.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not addressing the "timing issue" where it takes a long time to respond, the fundamental problem is that Quicken Inc will never reveal how they are doing the check for licensing.  As such no one can tell why some user get prompted from time to time.

I (on a standard Windows machine) never get prompted for the Quicken Id unless do something like log out or switch to another Quicken Id.

I will say that the when I do log out and back in the "prompt" is far from "quick", it certainly takes it a long time to get that prompt up.  And in fact looking at the original post saying it takes 10 seconds, that certainly isn't out of the ballpark from what I see on my machine.

I just tried logging out and the prompt took about 5 seconds.

Interesting enough I also got a prompt from Windows Defender's Firewall.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Follow up.  I also just got that Quicken text message "out of the blue" asking to click on the link to verify my Quicken Id that several people have complained about (because it comes without any context like being prompted to send a verification).

EDIT.  Not verifying didn't block me from loading the data file, but did block me from logging into Quicken.com (once I clicked the link to verify I could log into Quicken.com).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.