Why can't I connect to Ally Bank my IRA accounts?

Options
I can connect my regular Online Savings accounts to Ally Bank, but not my IRA Online Savings accounts.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    @edpigeon - The Ally Bank website says it does not support IRA accounts through Quicken. 
    My guess is that your IRA Savings Accounts are part of Ally Bank's investments/brokerage business and in order to be able to download from these from within Quicken they need to support Direct Connect.  But as Ally Bank's website also shows, they do not support Direct Connect.
    Ally Bank will need to add support for DC if you want to use Quicken to download investment/brokerage accounts from within Quicken.
    It's a long shot but you could check to see if you can download your IRA Savings Accounts data and transactions from your online account in QFX (or "Quicken") format.  If so, then you can probably manually download from there and import into Quicken.  This is called the Web Connect (WC) connection process.  I say it is a long shot because the FIDIR List for Quicken Windows shows Ally Bank supports Banking, not Investments.  I am guessing the situation is the same for Quicken Mac.
    If they do not support WC, then I think your only option will be to manually manage/update your IRA Savings Accounts in Quicken.
    If you want to read more about the different types of connection methods, you might want to check out this Support Article:  https://www.quicken.com/support/mac/how-quicken-connects-your-bank.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @edpigeon

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. To better assist you, more information is needed. For instance, what error codes or messages are you getting? What connection method are you using? 

Please elaborate so that we may move forward in diagnosing this issue. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    @edpigeon - The Ally Bank website says it does not support IRA accounts through Quicken. 
    My guess is that your IRA Savings Accounts are part of Ally Bank's investments/brokerage business and in order to be able to download from these from within Quicken they need to support Direct Connect.  But as Ally Bank's website also shows, they do not support Direct Connect.
    Ally Bank will need to add support for DC if you want to use Quicken to download investment/brokerage accounts from within Quicken.
    It's a long shot but you could check to see if you can download your IRA Savings Accounts data and transactions from your online account in QFX (or "Quicken") format.  If so, then you can probably manually download from there and import into Quicken.  This is called the Web Connect (WC) connection process.  I say it is a long shot because the FIDIR List for Quicken Windows shows Ally Bank supports Banking, not Investments.  I am guessing the situation is the same for Quicken Mac.
    If they do not support WC, then I think your only option will be to manually manage/update your IRA Savings Accounts in Quicken.
    If you want to read more about the different types of connection methods, you might want to check out this Support Article:  https://www.quicken.com/support/mac/how-quicken-connects-your-bank.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Boatnmaniac

Thank you for the clarification! I will make sure to notate this information for further reference. 

-Quicken Paloma 
This discussion has been closed.