Dividends Not Re-invested---Portfolio Gain or Loss

Gary R
Gary R Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2021 in Investing (Windows)
I've always re-invested dividends so the portfolio register always showed the added cost basis and added shares for gain and loss.
Now that I'm retired and need the dividends for spending, the dividend distribution is no longer figured in the gain/loss portfolio register.
Therefore, the gain/loss for each security is not really accurate since I'm receiving dividends but it's not reflected in the gain/loss.
Is there some way to fix this????

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume what you are referring to by "gain/loss portfolio register" is the "Gain/Loss" column of the window that opens when you click the "Holdings" button.
    If that's the case, then that column only reports the gain or loss of your current holdings of the various securities in the Account.  A dividend that you take in cash does not affect the number of shares you own or the basis of that particular security, so that dividend will have no effect on the Gain or Loss figure. 
    The dividend you receive adds to your wealth and is an important element of your "real" return on the security, but that's not reflected in that particular column as that column is telling you what your gain or loss would be if you sold the entire holding today.
    If you want to understand how good or bad a security has performed over time, maybe from the time from first purchase to "today" or over the last year, then an Investment Performance report would be a better tool to use.
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tom for your comment. When I go to my Portfolio View, customize columns, I add gain or loss. I see that you will get the same result when going to the Holdings Tab.
    Great answer--The investment report does show the dividends received and total return for the period selected. It would be great if Quicken had another column to add for TOTAL RETURN for each security.
    (Total return would include the dividend and gain combined)
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Portfolio View there are various "Return" column headings (as percentages and dollar amounts) that you might play around with to see if any of them fits your needs.
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Tom: I have played around with all the various "Return" column headings and unfortunately, they do not give me the correct total return for the securities.
    The performance report works for me when I don't re-invest the dividends.
    Thanks