Quicken Desktop----Apple Air M1 Chip

Options
I'm thinking of buying a new PC and switching from Windows to Apple. Will Quicken run with Apple and is there any issues transferring my Quicken data to Apple.

Comments

• debbeh
    debbeh Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Gary R

Yes Quicken will Run on Apple M1 computers, and yes you can transfer your data. Check this link:

https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-quicken-windows-quicken-mac-2016

However, if you are moving from Win to Mac, you need to know some settings on quicken for Win are not available on quicken for Mac. You need to review the options and settings you are currently using and if you need them on Quicken for Mac or not.

Good luck
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken for Mac is different than Windows.  Post on converting from Windows to Mac.  It has links to support articles

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7869552/if-i-purchase-quicken-for-mac-can-i-convert-the-data-saved-from-quicken-for-windows

Convert from Windows to Mac

Converting from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks guys for your comments--I will look into it before purchase
  • volvogirl
    Options
    If you have a current Quicken subscription you get both the Windows and Mac programs.   So you can try it out.   

• JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Having used both, I’d say the Macintosh version is definitely the more consistent and better program, but it is missing a lot of features as compared to the Windows version. Key of those are there is no rollover budgeting so if your use budgeting you will likely find it useless.
    I’d suggest converting your data and trying out all the workflows you use to see what is available or not and then deciding whether to move to the Macintosh version.
    -Jay
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay---If I convert my data from Windows to Mac and don't like Mac, won't there be a problem converting back to Windows?
    Volvogirl--I do have the current version of Quicken
  • volvogirl
    Options
    If you haven't used the Mac for very long you can just continue in the old Windows version.   In fact if you have both you should keep entering into both versions to compare.   Before you convert to Mac be sure to backup your Data file.  Then you can go back to it if you don't like Mac.   Converting back from Mac to Windows is messier and doesn't convert everything. Hmmm, or maybe it's worse going from Windows to Mac.    Thought I had some links about it but can't find them.

• JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree. Convert to Mac but then run both in parallel or pause the Windows and catch up if you decide not to stay with the Mac. Don’t convert them convert back. That would be a hard mess. It really comes down to whether you hit a feature on Mac that you MUST have and isn’t there.
    -Jay
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Conversion from Windows to Mac is done via an online convertor.  Figure spending about half a day or more to get things all straightened out.  My biggest issue is that Quicken Mac has no process for figuring out BUYX or SOLDX investment transactions.  In Quicken Mac, they are two distinct and separate transactions.  That pretty much made a complete mess of my investment accounts.  I wound up just starting those from Jan 1 as if new.  I deleted them all and just started over.  I had no patience for trying to fix all the errors and problems there.  All but one of my accounts are retirement accounts, so cost basis is irrelevant.  And for the one true brokerage account, I let my brokerage figure out the cost basis for me on their website.  Not elegant, but it works for me. 

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably just start everything new from Jan 1.  I really don't need all that history from before.  I mean...I have banking and credit card transactions from 1990.  Really?

Going from Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows is an entire mess.  Your investment accounts won't transfer back.

Best advice, like JayBugs said...run both in parallel until you feel comfortable with the platform you want to stick with.  If you need the Tax Planner or Lifetime Planner and a user interface from the 1990's, you'll pick Quicken Windows.  If you want an updated pleasant interface that has Dark Mode, and that's easier and more user friendly, pick Quicken Mac.  
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    After reading all these comments, I think my next PC will be windows again
    I don't think I'm going to be able to deal with the issues and problems converting
    The only reason I was considering this was all the good reviews I read about the new m chip(think that's what it's called on the new Mac)
This discussion has been closed.