How do I merge accounts ? (Q Mac investment accounts)

wayne rr
wayne rr Member ✭✭
Currently have 2 accounts. Each account contains multiple stocks. Would like to close one of the accounts and transfer all of its stocks to the second account.

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    In the source account, start a new transaction. In the Type column, click the popup menu and select Transfer Shares. Change the radio button selection from One Security to All Securities. Select the Transfer To account using the popup menu. When you save this transaction, a Remove Shares transaction for each stock will be created in the source account and corresponding Add Shares transaction(s) in the destination account. 

If you have a cash balance in the source account, you will need to add a Payment/Deposit transaction in the source account with Category "Transfer" and the destination account in the Transfer column to move the cash.

When you are satisfied that all is well, you can click menu Accounts > Mark "souceaccount" as Closed to reflect that the account is closed in Quicken. I do not recommend deleting the source account so as to retain the history. 

I strongly recommend that you make a backup of your file before starting this process in case anything goes wrong.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    In the source account, start a new transaction. In the Type column, click the popup menu and select Transfer Shares. Change the radio button selection from One Security to All Securities. Select the Transfer To account using the popup menu. When you save this transaction, a Remove Shares transaction for each stock will be created in the source account and corresponding Add Shares transaction(s) in the destination account. 

If you have a cash balance in the source account, you will need to add a Payment/Deposit transaction in the source account with Category "Transfer" and the destination account in the Transfer column to move the cash.

When you are satisfied that all is well, you can click menu Accounts > Mark "souceaccount" as Closed to reflect that the account is closed in Quicken. I do not recommend deleting the source account so as to retain the history. 

I strongly recommend that you make a backup of your file before starting this process in case anything goes wrong.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • wayne rr
    wayne rr Member ✭✭
    RickO, Thanks a lot!!! I believe you solved it.
This discussion has been closed.