Schwab Re-Auth Loop

Comments

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken Alyssa,

Just now, QWin goes into an infinite loop of Schwab authorization screens rather than connecting, as it did this weekend.

Attempting to update - either view One Step Update, or just selecting one account and Update... I get the Schwab authorization start screen again:

even though all should be linked already.  I click Next and log in via the Schwab web subwindow, confirm my accounts etc ... and then get this screen - the OLD Schwab login which goes back to giving Quicken my actual Schwab password:

I click "Cancel" - because I don't want to provide my password - violating the whole point of the new system.  And after a bit, I'm presented with the first screen for me to authorize my accounts again.

Rinse and repeat, over and over.

Meanwhile, I did an update on QMac which was also updated to the new Schwab system (post earlier in this thread) - and it updated fine (well - it completed - I had no new transactions) with no prompts to re-authorize.

Things seem seriously messed up on the Windows side :-(

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• MontanaKarl
    Clarification to my last post:  The repetition of the screens shown - Schwab authorization and old method sign-in - is not infinite, but repeats for as many accounts are linked to accounts at Schwab.  I just happen to have quite a few linked accounts - but I counted this time and the looping screens repeat one sequence per account before finally stopping.

Is anyone at Quicken monitoring this thread who can provide any updates on why this was working for several days and is failing yesterday and today?  (And yet QMac still connects without complaint to the new Schwab server.)

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @MontanaKarl

Thank you for taking the time to report his behavior and share your observations with the community.  

Our teams are investigating multiple reports of this behavior occurring with the Quicken for Mac version, so it's actually very interesting that you are experiencing the loop with the Windows version of Quicken and not on the Mac side.

May I ask, do you have multiple login credentials for your Schwab accounts?  Or are all the accounts under a single login?

If you haven't already, would you also submit a "Report a Problem" from the Help menu in Quicken Windows?

In the window that opens, enter "CTP-2913" in the subject line, select the boxes for each '.txt' file listed and when ready click Send to Quicken.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • MontanaKarl
    Hi @Quicken Sarah

Thanks for the quick response - and happy that others are seeing this issue (misery loves company?) :-)
    Will submit a report in a little bit.
    No, I only have one set of credentials for my Schwab accounts.

Thanks,
    Karl

• larryvc
    larryvc Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Sarah

Please note that I was also experiencing the loop in Quicken for Windows but then was finally able to connect my accounts once again (see my earlier posts above). Though the accounts are connected, nothing downloads, and yet I have many changes in my accounts online at Schwab.

Thank you,
    Larry
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hi @MontanaKarl

Thank you for providing those additional details and submitting the requested logs.

With the information provided we were able to identify two scenarios in which the prompt to authorize the accounts continues to appear.

For more information, please see the update on our ongoing alert for the Schwab transition, available here.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • MontanaKarl
    @Quicken Sarah and team -

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the Schwab authorization loop issue in your 11/12/21 update here:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20213719/#Comment_20213719

Unfortunately, the "Deactivate" button does nothing for the looping Charles Schwab Web Connect+ accounts in the data file that I'm trying to disconnect from Schwab.

Clicking the Deactivate button asks me to confirm, I click 'Yes", but the button and connection are still there.

Also, strangely, if I update a single account - e.g., a credit card - the Schwab authorization loop goes through its sequence ... even though the credit card is with Chase or Amex etc and only that connection should be happening with a single-account update.

File validates without any errors.

How do I deactivate my Schwab accounts if the Deactivate button doesn't function? :-(

Thanks!
    Karl

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the Schwab authorization loop issue in your 11/12/21 update here:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20213719/#Comment_20213719

Unfortunately, the "Deactivate" button does nothing for the looping Charles Schwab Web Connect+ accounts in the data file that I'm trying to disconnect from Schwab.

Clicking the Deactivate button asks me to confirm, I click 'Yes", but the button and connection are still there.

Also, strangely, if I update a single account - e.g., a credit card - the Schwab authorization loop goes through its sequence ... even though the credit card is with Chase or Amex etc and only that connection should be happening with a single-account update.

How do I deactivate my Schwab accounts if the Deactivate button doesn't function? :-(

Thanks!
    Karl

Hi @MontanaKarl ,

When you are using both Quicken for Mac and Quicken for Windows, make sure that Quicken for Mac is closed while Quicken for Windows is opened. Change the Password at Charles Schwab.  Banks and Financial Institutions don't like to broadcast that they were hacked, so they block all access to existing Accounts, until the User changing their password.

Disable Third-Party Access for Quicken and Save it. Log out and close the Browser. Restart Windows and then RE-Enable Third-Party Access at Schwab, and Save it.

Now try adding Schwab to Quicken again.

It is time consuming but it works.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• MontanaKarl

Disable Third-Party Access for Quicken and Save it. Log out and close the Browser. Restart Windows and then RE-Enable Third-Party Access at Schwab, and Save it.

Now try adding Schwab to Quicken again.

It is time consuming but it works.

Thanks for the response... but your advice is exactly what NOT to do for the new Schwab connection method (Web Connect+) - which is basically like an app-specific password granted by Schwab to Quicken.

The "Third-Party Access" is the OLD method... in which Quicken has the actual Schwab password and is insecure.  It should "never" be enabled once the new Schwab connection is working.

There is another / new panel on the Schwab web site below the 3rd Party panel that you show in your screenshot.  THAT is the new security panel for Quicken.  (For others reading this, it is under Customer Service > Security on the Schwab site.)

Thanks, though. :-)

• Michael G
    Michael G Member ✭✭
    Thanks Karl for asking an important question and thereby highlighting yet another issue with this most recent Quicken update.
    I.e.: “How do I deactivate my Schwab accounts if the Deactivate button doesn't function?”
  • jl747
    jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Do you have a screenshot that shows this new panel?
    It would be helpful to others.
    Just check my Schwab account Security (Service - Security) and I see the same as what
    thecreator shows.

Edit: Schwab does have a FAQ about the new aggregation
    called "Important information about external client data aggregation".
    It's link is on the top right side of the Security page.

Quicken Windows Business & Personal (Subscription) - Using the latest version -Windows 10 Pro

• MontanaKarl
    jl747 said:
    Do you have a screenshot that shows this new panel?
    It would be helpful to others.

Here's a screenshot of what I see ... red annotation is me...

• Quicken Sarah

Thanks!
    Karl

Hi Karl (@MontanaKarl)

Thank you for sharing the screenshot of the Schwab FAQ, it is very helpful :)

May I ask, is this happening in your Quicken Mac or Windows data file?  

Please let me know, thank you!

Sarah
  • MontanaKarl

Thanks!
    Karl

Hi Karl (@MontanaKarl)

Thank you for sharing the screenshot of the Schwab FAQ, it is very helpful :)

May I ask, is this happening in your Quicken Mac or Windows data file?  

Please let me know, thank you!

Sarah

Hi Sarah (@Quicken Sarah)

QMac seems to work just fine - no pop-ups, downloads transactions.  Are you asking though if I am unable to deactivate an account in QMac?  I didn't try there, but can give it a try.

The Deactivate failure and authorization loop continues in my QWin file - even though I have unchecked all accounts linked to that file from the Schwab Security screen seen in my last screenshot... and have Schwab unchecked in One Step Update. QWin attempts a Schwab connection no matter what online activity is attempted - and as I mentioned, the Deactivate button does not function. :-(

Thanks!
    Karl

• MontanaKarl
    Michael G said:
    Thanks Karl for asking an important question and thereby highlighting yet another issue with this most recent Quicken update.
    I.e.: “How do I deactivate my Schwab accounts if the Deactivate button doesn't function?”

Thanks, @Michael G

I'm really stuck with a painful experience on QWin now due to this issue since anything I do (online) results in the Schwab authorization loop.

1.  Deactivate button does nothing (cannot deactivate Schwab online connection)

2.  On the Schwab site I unchecked all accounts linked to the Quicken file, then attempted the reauthorization loop, which showed that none of the accounts previously linked are checked... but the loop just continued.

3.  I unchecked the box in One Step Update for connecting to Schwab ... but QWin still attempts to connect to Schwab multiple times for any online operation... Even a manual update of a single credit card results in the Schwab authorization loop.

• Daffy Duck
    Daffy Duck Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Kathryn - I am extremely disappointed with this release by Quicken/Mac addressing Schwab. There have been several comments about the Looping of the Schwab Login process - and I am experiencing that.

But I am experiencing several other issues - which frankly make Quicken totally worthless. This latest version of Quicken is at best a Beta version and is rapidly destroying my records.

Every time I update my file I have to re-enroll at Schwab. I understand that may be related to the fact that I have more than one Schwab account. But there are other problems as well.
    -The download is generating a series of offsetting "Balance adjustment" entries in each account, and is showing them as reconciled.
    - Each time I loop through re-enrollment the program resets Investment Tracking Method for each account form Detailed to Simple.
    - The system is now suddenly picking up the money market sweep transactions which have never been picked up before. And I do not want them picked up as they modify my cash balance and make it very difficult to reconcile my accounts at month end. Going back and deleting these transactions is pointless at this time as the next time I download transactions they will be downloaded again.

This needs a quick fix or we need to go back to Quicken as it was in October.

Believe me I am complaining to Schwab Tech Support as well as your support people.
  • Daffy Duck
    Daffy Duck Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Kathryn - Today I followed up on my message by contacting support at both Quicken and Schwab. I feel like I was talking to that painting where two monkeys are pointing at each other and both are saying "He did it."

When I talked to Quicken tech support I was told that Quicken is processing the data from Schwab exactly the way when the Schwab Quicken interface was Direct Connect.

Then I called Schwab. They say they are feeding Quicken the exact same data they always have sent.

But the data that I am receiving in my Quicken file has changed. I don't think either side is intentionally lying, but the bottom line some one is wrong and someone needs to get to the bottom of this screwup. And someone needs to put on their big boy pants and figure out who is wrong and how to fix it.
  • larryvc
    larryvc Member ✭✭
    @QuickenKathryn

My accounts are connected per the instructions and a when I performed a OSU my accounts were updated with 519 transactions downloaded. Since then no new transactions have downloaded, there are many transactions showing in my accounts at Schwab.

I just got off the phone with one of your tech support representatives, spent an hour on the phone, with no resolution, and when the representative told me that the file could not be in a folder on OneDrive I was very skeptical of the representatives knowledge of Windows. The representative had me move the file to my Downloads folder, which by the way is on OneDrive per the way that Windows keeps your data... we tried a One Step Update which also did not download any new transactions. I even moved the file to my D: drive, an internal SSD. Tried the OSU from there, no new data downloaded.

BTW, the representative had me deactivate and clear all the account names and numbers in the general tab of each account... then had me add new account. I was presented with a long list of accounts... I linked the accounts to the accounts I have in the file and chose do not add for all other accounts. The accounts downloaded 719 transactions that were just the same data in my accounts, but no new data was downloaded. We also validated the file and there were no issues, the file is good.

The fact that I have been using this file, and many other files, on OneDrive for several years now without any problems makes me believe that Quicken tech support scripts need to be rewritten to reflect reality and not waste our time with nonsense.

[rant}
    Between Quicken and Schwab I seriously hope you guys get your act together, soon, in resolving all these issues your users are facing.
    [/rant]

Please escalate and have a higher level support representative reach out to me.
  • larryvc
    larryvc Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Kathryn

A follow up to my latest post above... I now show that after all that mess that the support representative put me through, my accounts after the procedure I was told to follow all my Schwab accounts now show as Direct Connect. That support encounter was a total waste of time!

I have restored my file that was connected via Web Connect + and awaiting further instructions from your support team.

Thank you,
    larryvc
  • larryvc
    larryvc Member ✭✭
    @ Quicken Kathryn,

And now this...
  • Barry Hu
    Barry Hu Member ✭✭
    I've updated to R37.25 and the issue is ongoing.
  • Marinsd
    Marinsd Member ✭✭
    After reading through 33 pages of community feedback in one thread alone and spending upwards of 3 hours with Q tech support, I would recommend you do this: contact the Business section editor of your local paper and advise them of this problem. It appears that shaming Quicken may be the only way for them to dedicate resources to solve it - and ensure a transition like this never happens again.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    [removed - off-topic/duplicate]

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Marty
    Marty Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    [removed - off-topic]
  • ysg26
    ysg26 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    [removed - off-topic/solicitation]
  • ysg26
    ysg26 Member ✭✭
    This is what I get:
    "Your financial institution has rejected your request. Additional information from zzz-Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.: OfxSecurePlus request denied due to unmapped bid, bid={8888}"
This discussion has been closed.