How difficult is it to change from Windows 10 Quicken 2017 to the web version and....

Options
I currently am on Windows 10 and using Quicken 2017. I am thinking about moving to the Quicken Web version and wondering how difficult it is to convert the Windows 10 standalone version to the web based version AND I am thinking about moving to a Mac in the near future....if I do go Mac, what difficulties in using the web version using a Mac computer???

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @ddschur

Just wondering whether you've looked into the "web version" - specifically the features and how it actually works - have you?  Another question is "what are you actually looking for from the web version, what's the goal?

Are you aware that the "web version" (i.e. "Quicken on the Web") is actually a "companion" feature that is available in every version of the current Quicken lineup - in other words it is included for all current versions?  There isn't any "conversion" that needs to be done, but there are limits to what you can do when using the "on the web" features and you'll still need to maintain the Quicken application on a computer.

I suggest that you use this Quicken website LINK to see the various features and learn more about how things actually work.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    @ddschur - A little clarification regarding what you mean by the "web" version would be helpful.
    As noted by @Frankx , Quicken on the Web is a companion feature of the PC-based Quicken.  It is not a standalone product.  It cannot be set up without there being a linked & sync'd PC-based Quicken program.
    Quicken also has a web-based app called Simplifi which is totally separate from the PC-based Quicken program and Quicken on the Web.  Simplifi is now included in the Quicken products comparison chart that @Frankx has point you to.
    Which "web" version are you referring to?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• ddschur
    ddschur Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am totally confused...I'm sorry. I do have Quicken 2017 installed on Win 10 computer. I keep getting info from Quicken about updating to (what I thought) was a separate web version which, I assumed, would negate the need for my standalone version and everything would be accessed via the Quicken Web Application! I'm sorry to say this but AM I WRONG with my understanding???
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ddschur said:
    I am totally confused...I'm sorry. I do have Quicken 2017 installed on Win 10 computer. I keep getting info from Quicken about updating to (what I thought) was a separate web version which, I assumed, would negate the need for my standalone version and everything would be accessed via the Quicken Web Application! I'm sorry to say this but AM I WRONG with my understanding???
    First, I noticed that the 3rd paragraph in my original post was truncated so it made no sense.  That has now been corrected.
    Second, thank you for the additional information.  Since your QW 2017 has expired (it can still be used manually but no online services are available) you are getting marketing messages to upgrade to QW subscription.  The subscription program is still a PC-based program but perhaps those messages have also promoted the Quicken on the Web feature which might have been leading to the confusion.
    To clarify, Quicken on the Web is not a standalone program, it must be linked to a PC-installed Quicken program (either Windows or Mac) in order to be set up.  Once set up, you can update accounts via Web but you cannot add accounts there.  It also does not contain all the data and features of the PC-installed Quicken.  The biggest benefit of Web, IMO, is so people can access their accounts and do basic updates from remote locations, like from the office or when they are traveling, but in order to function properly it does need to be periodically sync'd with the PC-installed Quicken.
    So, if what you want is a Quicken web-based program that is compatible with and can replace the PC-based Quicken program, I'm sorry to say that does not exist.
    Simplifi, on the other hand, is a web-based program that is totally separate from the PC-based Quicken programs.  To my understanding it cannot use or interface with any Quicken data files.  So, going with this program will be mostly be like starting your financial records all over, again.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Subscription is the same desktop software as Quicken 2017. There's a option for Quicken on the Web. Simplifi is completely web based but can't import any Quicken desktop data.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ddschur said:
    In a word - "Yes"

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FWIW, most Superuser's don't sync to the Quicken Cloud which is what Quicken on the Web uses.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ddschur said: I am totally confused...
    yeah....
    1 - you will always need a desktop version of Quicken as the base and anchor point for all the data - there is NO web version.
    2 - you can select certain Quicken defined accounts to be uploaded to the Quicken Cloud
    for sharing with the Quicken Mobile App and the browser based access to the Quicken on the Web.
    3 - the Quicken Cloud is NOT a complete collection of all your Quicken data - it is NOT a backup.
    And here is the new Quicken web based product called Simplifi - https://www.quicken.com/simplifi/

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.