Does your Check Number field populate with a check number?

When downloading transactions from the bank does your Check Number field populate with a check number of the transaction being a check? I lost this field populating in September of 2020. ATM transactions also populated the check number field and they are absent also.

My bank is Bank of Oklahoma.

Does the Check Number field in your downloads populate from your bank?

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

Best Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Help > Log Files > OFX Log
    Save the OFX log to a text file on your desktop. Open it with your favorite plain text editor. Search for <CHECKNUM> fields. That will tell you whether your bank is sending proper check numbers.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    retird said:
    should not be me that troubleshoots an OFX file... 20 hours invested already.

I thought if someone in the community can verify whether check number populate from their bank it would help greatly...
    I told you how to do it. It will take you minutes, not hours. Why wait for someone else to get around to it?
    My bank, Bank of America, does indeed send correct <CHECKNUM> fields. It took me 2 minutes maximum to discover this.
    Having said that, I always pre-enter my checks and other banking/spending transactions. Then Quicken has an easy time matching its downloads to my entries.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @Chris_QPW said:
      Here is an example from my checking account's OFX log:
    >
    >                 <BANKTRANLIST>                    <DTSTART>20211021200000.000[-4:EDT]                    <DTEND>20211102140902.438[-4:EDT]                    <STMTTRN>                        <TRNTYPE>CHECK                        <DTPOSTED>20211101120000[0:GMT]                        <TRNAMT>-100                        <FITID>202111010                        <CHECKNUM>102                        <NAME>CHECK 102                    </STMTTRN>

THX for the info.... no such <CHECKNUM> in my OFX

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

Answers

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    NOTE: Sent OFX and Connectivity Logs to my bank again yesterday. Been talking to Quicken and the bank for numerous months now (about 20 hours worth) and the only "link in the chain" that I cannot talk to is Intuit. Express Web Connect goes thru Intuits server as I understand. Neither the bank nor Quicken says they have any problem so maybe it is Intuit? Surely Quicken can get this fixed and surely Quicken can talk to Intuit.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Any response is appreciated... please

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    Help > Log Files > OFX Log
    Save the OFX log to a text file on your desktop. Open it with your favorite plain text editor. Search for <CHECKNUM> fields. That will tell you whether your bank is sending proper check numbers.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > Help > Log Files > OFX LogSave the OFX log to a text file on your desktop. Open it with your favorite plain text editor. Search for <CHECKNUM> fields. That will tell you whether your bank is sending proper check numbers.

THX.... gave them the OFX files again and they don't seem to eager to even troubleshoot anything... should not be me that troubleshoots an OFX file... 20 hours invested already.

I thought if someone in the community can verify whether check number populate from their bank it would help greatly...

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    retird said:
    should not be me that troubleshoots an OFX file... 20 hours invested already.

I told you how to do it. It will take you minutes, not hours. Why wait for someone else to get around to it?
    My bank, Bank of America, does indeed send correct <CHECKNUM> fields. It took me 2 minutes maximum to discover this.
    Having said that, I always pre-enter my checks and other banking/spending transactions. Then Quicken has an easy time matching its downloads to my entries.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Given the connection type is Express Web Connect the logged information isn't going to be in the OFX logs.  It is going to be in the Cloud Sync Log if it is anywhere.

Given that you have what the financial institution provides to Intuit, then Intuit passing that through whatever script they have back to the Quicken servers that saves it in the Quicken cloud dataset, and then than dataset is synced to the Quicken data file, it is probably impossible for a customer to find out were the problem is.  That is in fact why a problem like this needs to go through Quicken Support.

It is also the reason I have pretty much given up on trying to answer questions when Express Web Connect is involved.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Given the connection type is Express Web Connect the logged information isn't going to be in the OFX logs.  It is going to be in the Cloud Sync Log if it is anywhere.
    >
    > Given that you have what the financial institution provides to Intuit, then Intuit passing that through whatever script they have back to the Quicken servers that saves it in the Quicken cloud dataset, and then than dataset is synced to the Quicken data file, it is probably impossible for a customer to find out were the problem is.  That is in fact why a problem like this needs to go through Quicken Support.
    >
    > It is also the reason I have pretty much given up on trying to answer questions when Express Web Connect is involved.

I have spent over 20 hours on this and numerous talks with bank and quicken IT.... Checked the OFX per your instructin and no <CHECKNUM>. Just needed verification that other banks can send check numbers as my bank says it is a Quicken issue.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    retird said:
    Just needed verification that other banks can send check numbers as my bank says it is a Quicken issue.
    To the financial institution "Quicken issue" is anything not on their site.  That leaves a lot of "players".
    Some financial institutions use third party services to service this kind of thing.  Then you have Intuit servers/scripts, and then you have Quicken servers, and the "sync", and finally you have "Quicken the program".

Is it possible?
    Certainly for a checking number to be sent (yes even with Express Web Connect).

Is it likely to be a Quicken "the program" problem?
    Not very likely, but that still leaves a lot of ground that is "Quicken" as far as the financial institution is concerned.

Note if this was Direct Connect or Web Connect the answer would be trivial.  Here is an example from my checking account's OFX log:

<BANKTRANLIST>
                        <DTSTART>20211021200000.000[-4:EDT]
                        <DTEND>20211102140902.438[-4:EDT]
                        <STMTTRN>
                            <TRNTYPE>CHECK
                            <DTPOSTED>20211101120000[0:GMT]
                            <TRNAMT>-100
                            <FITID>202111010
                            <CHECKNUM>102
                            <NAME>CHECK 102
                        </STMTTRN>

Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @Chris_QPW said:
      Here is an example from my checking account's OFX log:
    >
    >                 <BANKTRANLIST>                    <DTSTART>20211021200000.000[-4:EDT]                    <DTEND>20211102140902.438[-4:EDT]                    <STMTTRN>                        <TRNTYPE>CHECK                        <DTPOSTED>20211101120000[0:GMT]                        <TRNAMT>-100                        <FITID>202111010                        <CHECKNUM>102                        <NAME>CHECK 102                    </STMTTRN>

THX for the info.... no such <CHECKNUM> in my OFX

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    retird said:
    Over the years I have downloaded from many different banks and credit unions, some set up with DC and others set up with EWC, including:  PNC, Compass, BBVA, US Bank, Sun Trust, Regions Bank, Alpine Bank, Midland States Bank, Bremer Bank, Wells Fargo, Austin Telco FCU and A+ FCU.  Every one of them downloads the check numbers.  IMO, you not getting the check numbers downloaded is not normal.
    You also mentioned that "ATM transactions also populated the check number field and they are absent also."  That is a new one for me.  I do not recall ever seeing ATM transactions populating anything in the check number field.  For me ATM transaction references are downloaded into the Memo field.
    That all being said, I read where Bank of Oklahoma recently redesigned their online services.  Their website doesn't say exactly when this happened but the fact that they still are referring to the redesign as "new" it could easily be in the September window.
    The website says they took connections for Mint and EWC for Quicken and Quick Books offline for a while while they coordinated their redesign with Intuit.  They also said that after the redesign process was completed if anyone has any download issues they should deactivate/reactivate their account(s) in Quicken.  Have you tried doing that?
    If not, it might be a long shot but you might want to give it a try:
    1. Back up your data file in case anything goes wrong.
    2. Account List > click on Edit for the account > Online Services tab > Deactivate.
    3. Repeat for each account you have with the bank.
    4. After deactivating the last account, click on Set Up Now on that same Online Services tab and follow the prompts.
    5. During account set up Quicken might prompt you to decide what to do with the data that has been downloaded from the bank.  Be sure it is linked to the correct account(s) in Quicken.
    6. During this process there might be transactions entered into the register(s) that are duplicates of what is already there.  Any duplicates will need to be manually deleted.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Done that many times. Been thru the whole gambit numerous times... Bank Of Oklahoma made their changeover about the time I lost the check number population (SEPT. of last year)......

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Screenshots:

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    From time to time I have seen people report not getting check numbers.  When they stuck with it and found the problem every time I remember it being that the financial institution or maybe even more accurately the “interaction” between the financial institution and Intuit.

In other words the story plays out like yours.  Financial institution changes site.  The user still sees check numbers on their website (or much more people would complain), but doesn’t show up in Quicken.

Since we (the Quicken users) have no idea of how the financial institution is passing the information to Intuit, we can’t know where this would breakdown and why a change in the the website would matter.  The last “resort” that Intuit would use is trying to read the website directly.  But there are some financial institutions that force that on them.  And clearly if the website changes and Intuit’s scripts are change or have bugs in them you can get problems like this.

But most will at least provide the information in some format like QFX or CSV, or they might even have an API for it.

One thing to try is if they allow you to download transactions in one of these formats, download it and check to see if the check numbers are in them. If they aren’t that might be the smoking gun you to get them to realise they are the cause.  No guarantee since we have no idea what the financial institution and Intuit agreed to.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.