Updating from Quicken 2017 Mac question

J. Patrick
J. Patrick Member ✭✭
Hi all. So I finally want to upgrade from Quicken 2017 Mac to the newest version since I just upgraded my Mac too. Q2017 is working fine on Monterey for me and I input everything manually for years and do not need to connect to any of my Banks. I bought Q2017 through the App Store. I heard that if you get the subscription of "Starter" that it will stop working after a year if you don't continue your subscription? So I would want to go to "Deluxe"? Again I enter everything manually and thinking that the newest version will last me a long time. And they are running a great deal on the Deluxe upgrade when I open my Q2017. Can I buy from Quicken website instead of App store to get deal with my Quicken ID? Thanks for any information that you can pass along and any problems that I should be aware of when upgrading.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You have that right about Starter becoming read only if you don't renew. One other gotcha, though, is that while you can still make manual entries into Deluxe if not renewed, you will not have any access to any online functionality which includes import of QFX files and downloads of quotes. Another big gotcha is that after non-renewal, there will banners prompting you to renew that take up a bunch of your screen real estate.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • J. Patrick
    J. Patrick Member ✭✭
    > @RickO said:
    > You have that right about Starter becoming read only if you don't renew. One other gotcha, though, is that while you can still make manual entries into Deluxe if not renewed, you will not have any access to any online functionality which includes import of QFX files and downloads of quotes. Another big gotcha is that after non-renewal, there will banners prompting you to renew that take up a bunch of your screen real estate.

Thanks for those tidbits. I don’t and will not be using any online functions. How bad are the banners? It’s just they are offering me 50% off of Deluxe right now. Hope other user chime in also about their experiences for upgrading.
  • RickO
    How bad are the banners? 
    I've never actually seen them, so I don't know. They may be worse on the Windows side. If you search here, you may be able to find a screenshot.
  • FiL1426
    FiL1426 Member
    Can you please say what is the outcome of the cancellation of Membership with Quicken?

I would like to know, Are you able to use the features of the Quicken App without the Membership being active.

I have this issue, I do not use the Online Banking feature and so I don't need it.

If I cancel the Membership, I do not want the whole App not to be working because I have ALL my financing accounts on it for a few decades now.

Thanks for your reply in advance.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you cancel or let your subscription lapse, you can use Quicken manually (if you have Deluxe or higher, not Starter) without any online features. Since the mobile app is obviously online, I'm pretty you will no longer be able to use it. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    One more thing: you will no longer get any updates to the software. So if something changes in macOS that breaks the version of Quicken that you have, you will not have access to the update that fixes it.
This discussion has been closed.